norcold troubleshooting

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John C

norcold troubleshooting

Post by John C »

Have a de 541. Unit runs on both 12 volt and 110 but does not get cold. I can hear the dam thing running just no cold. Can these units be recharged? Thanks...John
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A common problem to those compressors(swing type design) is that they break and won't pump freon but the motor runs.

They have no factory supplied charging valve. And if a real old unit it has R12 in it instead of 134.

The system is steel and aluminum tubing. A standard line tap valve of 1/4 is to big for the tubing so you have to cut the steel tubing which dumps any charge, then sweat in a t with a charging valve and then evacuate and charge to check and see whether it works or it doesn't at which time the compressor is broke.
Opening the system really requires adding a filter/dryer to protect the compressor from contaminates.

If you have a leak and its in the aluminum tubing or evap plate, your out of luck. You can't repair it.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Bruce,

I liked the soilant green statement. That was one of my favorite movies even though Edward G. was turned into soilant green. Eating smart peoples brains is good too.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon