Trans. oil leak, ZF IRM 220A behind Cummins 6BTA 250s

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Trans. oil leak, ZF IRM 220A behind Cummins 6BTA 250s

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Hey Faithful - Since my Katrinia layup I'm losing a little oil out of the port gear and can't see anything obvious...the gear uses 30W motor oil. The yard that fixed AJ told me when they started her up after 11 months on the hard the port gear was out of oil, and they found and fixed a broken fitting on one of the gear cooler hoses. Since I don't see too good, thinking about putting some sort of flourescent dye in the oil and using a black light at night to try to see where the leak is. Over the years I've busted a cooler hose, had the sender for the gear pressure gague rust out, and one of those two little carbon steel tubes on the back of the gear rust out, but all of those spew oil like Spindletop when the engine is running....this is a real slow loss of oil....no water in the oil as far as I can tell, and no obvious oil in the exhaust water like would be the case if the oil cooler for the gear has a leak.

Ideas?

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic-This has happened to me on both trannies a year apart. I had the braided wire over rubber hose that ran from the sender to my gauges at the lower station (mine is a sportsfisherman) spring a leak, then finally blow. The leak was under pressure so it was a spray mist leak behind a bulkhead that wasn't noticed until I lost the ability to shift. Checked the tranny's oil. NONE. Filled it with 30 wt and everything shifted, but this time I heard the sound of the spraying and found oil in my bilge. In one case it was a definite case of chafing, in the other, nothing I could blame. The hoses looked like they'd never perforate. in fact it took a hacksaw to cut through them. We inserted a sleeve and double small hose clamps on either side of the sleeve. No problems since. A bitch to find until they finally blew. Some senders are in the oil cooler. Start there. Actually, I was told that if I didn't mind losing the tranny oil gauges I could just put a plug in place of the sender, fill up and go. Don't know if this is where your leak might be but hope this helps. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Walter. My senders are screwed directly into the gears (3/8" MPT) and are electric to the single FB station. I need to get a real good light under the deck and check it at night since its very hard to see the back of the gear in the daylight with all the glare.

Anyone ever used the flourescent dye? If so, where do you get it?

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

UV,
You can get that dye from a refrigeration supply house. I use it to find freon leaks.
If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send you some. You can't see it by sight without the light. Sorta like those crime scene shows.

I never used it in a circumstance like yours though. Don't know if the large amount of oil would wash it out. Very little oil in refrig systems.

Slow leaks I find mostly to be input/output shaft seals.
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Bruce. I need to just logically approach the leak by first cleaning up the area (copious amounts of CX have been applied to the gear over the years), clean the bilge under it, wait for the weather to cool off some, then just lay on the deck, stick my head under there and watch what's going on with the engine running and pressure in the gear.

UV
John F.

Post by John F. »

UV-

I'd clean it up, then put the oil-zorb diapers underneath. The drips show up real well on those. My tranny leaks (still have them--on my to-do list) are real slow, and it took alot of cleaning and running the rpms up to find the leaks. Good luck.

John F.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Newspaper or brown kraft paper under it is a cheap way to find a leak.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Vic,

What are the odds you have a pin hole in an oil cooler, and that it is going out your exhaust pipe?

Dug
In Memory of Vicroy

Cooler leak is possible, but don't see any oil in the exhaust water. Leave removing and testing the cooler for last.

UV
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Vicroy wrote:Anyone ever used the flourescent dye? If so, where do you get it?

UV
Yep, used it to find a leak in my old Mini...got it from an auto parts store, but had a hard time finding the UV light. Worked like a charm...I'd be happy to send the light along if you need it, just let me know.

Rick
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Rick....I just looked online and there are a bunch of places that sell the dye for oil and fuel systems and the lights too for short money. I'll order a little kit and give it a whirl.

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Vic, if it is the oil cooler, then you should see the dye in the oil off the transom just as much as anywhere else. Good idea.

D
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

UV,
I'll be glad to come lend my tired eyes to help. Just let me know- Friday?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory of Vicroy

Andre' - thanks, sure could use a hand...Friday would be great.

UV
MarkD

Re: Trans. oil leak, ZF IRM 220A behind Cummins 6BTA 250s

Post by MarkD »

Hi Gents:

Old thread I know. Boat I just bought has the same leak Uncle Vic referenced here. It appears that I can replace the parts without taking the trans out of the boat. Just wondering if anybody has done this recently - corrosion on the two oil pipe tubes going from the pump to the transmission need to be replaced. Anybody do this recently?

Thanks,
Mark