Auto-pilot and Steering

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Auto-pilot and Steering

Post by John F. »

The other possible winter project....I'd like to put in a whole new steering system and autopilot. Recommendations? Thanks. Its either this or windows.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

I've had good luck with my AP 16, easy to use and holds course both in the auto mode and navigation mode.

I have Hynautic steering.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Get the Sea Star hyd. steering...new tech vs. the Hynautic that's old tech, no bike pump on the Sea Star. I have the Sitex SP 70 pilot that has worked flawlessly for 10 or 12 years, and is about 1K, cheap but good.

UV
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

This may help- all the same company, teleflex.

http://www.downloadingfiles.co.uk/telef ... 001-12.pdf

We have had years of success with the sea star system, very simple and no pump

Was out on my friends boat with the ap-11 recently and found that our ap-16 performed far better

Don't know what type of boating you do, but for me the addition of the autopilot was revolutionary
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the ap12 and an ap22 and their great
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

For a B31, I'd consider a raymarine package. You could go with the SG1 and get the head unit, course computer, hyd pump for under $1500 and then add their wireless remote.

In the bay and mostly for remote steering you'd probably be fine without the gyro-compass. Though I would ask if it could be added later if needed.

Also, during the Annapolis Boat Show you may be able to shave a little more off the price. I've also bought from Consumers Marine in Jan during the Miami show, they have boat show pricing on their website.

br,
JohnD
tclub

Post by tclub »

look into the tr1 autopilot here is there website http://www.nautamatic.com/
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

iam with brewster on the ap 22
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you don't have an autopilot and put one in, you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. From being able to eat a sandwich or light a cigar while running out to the grounds to being able to run down into the cockpit to net or gaff a fish your kid caught. You'll probably actually save on fuel by running straight lines rather than wandering from port to starboard. When linked to your GPS you'll go from point to point straight as an arrow. Lose an engine and you'll avoid wrestling the wheel to run a straight course. If your windows aren't rotting out and you can only afford doing one, I'd do the autopilot. My opinion. Walter
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Stick with Simrad. They work period. I have the AP 11 which has been superseded by the AP16 I think. Just because most of us have Hynautic steering doesn't mean it's the best. It was just very popular at the time.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Sorry but Hynautic steeirng is the best. Anything with a pressurized canister that tells you whats going on is better then the best closed (potentially leaking) steering system on the market today. The new rams don't make the turns or perform near as well as the old hynautic systems.
In order to meet or exceed the performance of the hynautic system you need to move to power steering.
When was the last time you went 5 turns lock to lock on a helm set up.
Couple that performance with anyones half ass autopilot and they all will perform.
Put it with a Simrad or TR1(Garmin) and you get nothing but performance ++++++.
Sometimes older is better.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Got the Raymarine package. You could go with the SG1 and get the head unit, course computer, hyd pump for under $1500 Also.... I went with the gyro-compass....Holds course well while rolling on big swells.
I added AP last spring &* wondered why I hadnt done it sooner.
Wayne
scot

Post by scot »

I'm only familiar with the Sea Star. I can't speak about the Hynautic but It's hard to imagine anything better? 5 years of effortless steering without a hitch. Works as good as the power stering in the truck. Super easy for dual station installation.

You can make your long runs with refrigeration grade soft copper tubing, cheap and no problems. Standard 3/8" compression fitting from the copper to the flex hose.

As I mentioned I don't know about Hynautics, but I can vouch for the Sea Star.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have the ap-27 for me in the canyon it can`t be beat.i keep the controller in my back pocket and on a double knock down i can jump down and take a rod and control the boat if need be.to controll the boat from the cockpit is a big advantage out there.
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

I've never gone 5 turns lock to lock with the sea star because its 3 1/2 turns. Don't have to look at a gauge to know you have a problem, which has happened exactly one time in the 15 or so years since we installed it.
If you need to add oil, just unscrew a cap right at the wheel. That has happened exactly one time also.

KISS