heres a good lesson

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

heres a good lesson

Post by randall »

spent two hours at the boat last night with my friend the mechanic..... and what i accomplished was i learned some new tricks for testing continuity...i learned how to increase voltage by increasing distance....i learned lots about my carb ... i learned my engines will run all day on 5 cylinders....did not however learn what was wrong.....go back today and switch modules in an effort to eliminate that.....take the module from the good engine(starboard) and put it in the bad running one.(port)...as im putting the new module (which i put in the bad running engine (port) when it died completely)in the good running engine i notice a very small amount of un insulated ground wire showing where it looks like it got crushed by the retaining screw the first time around...wraped with tape and installed......both engines run again.........duh
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

I'm pretty interested in the increasing voltage by increasing distance thing, would be pretty useful in our transmission system.

ScottD
randall

Post by randall »

my friend rattled off a formula....said it was couner intuative watch this...............stuck a phillips head screwdriver in the coil terminal on the distributor cap......took the wire and moved it closer and further from the screwdriver while the engine was running.......the spark got hotter as he moved it away (to a point)........went around the cap doing the same with each plug wire.....easy to see which were firing and how strong the spark was
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I think the air gap increases the resistance so the coil builds a higher charge before it can discharge across the gap, hence higher voltage (or is it amps, I can never remember). I put Acce supercoils(the big yellow ones) on mine when they needed replacing and they work great. Ask me how I know they will raise the hair on your head!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Randall,
Is that because of the frasnoids being longer than the resonance descant factor and conversly profluent releasing of rolamite energy?
Or is it the opposite?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. Mike Holmes

Current thinking

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I think you nailed it, Andre!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
John F.

Post by John F. »

Andre-

I know you're a diesel guy, but Mike's right, you nailed it. It'd only be the opposite if the test was performed while the boat was in the southern hemisphere...

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

like i said.......i dont have a clue why its true....but it is......BTW andre...i stole your line and use it all the time at volleyball....and im pretty sure the fraznoids have a lot to do with it
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Andre, please send me a PM explaing both the mathamatical formula you used, and a explanation of what the fu*k your talkingabout.

You making it up for some woodcock, when your not jet setting?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Would the apperarance of more energy with larger gap between wire and screw driver still be applicable if you doubled the atmospheric pressure?
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

We have very special plugs that deliver!

Check it out ...http://aldor-sparkplugs.com
A/K/A El Gaupo