Labor Day Weekend Boat Traffic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Labor Day Weekend Boat Traffic

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have been fishing Montauk waters for almost fifty years now and have experienced holiday weekends on the waters off The Point that resembled the landings at Normandy. Tangled trolled wire lines, people shaking fists at each other, charterboats cursing the "weekend warriors", waiting on line for fuel, bait and ice, etc. Don't know whether it's the high price of fuel, the economy, the rediculous fishing regulations or what, but this weekend had beautiful weather yet had nowhere near the boating/fishing activity of previous years. Even the usual bumper to bumper traffic on the roads didn't seem to happen and as far as I could see, Labor Day Weekend was not too different from any other one. Given past history that's quite unusual and I'd expect very painful to the economy of the area that depends so much on summer business! Lots of boats still out of the water and for sale. On the good side, I did notice several well rigged B-31's that I didn't recognize trolling and drifting the waters off the Point. If any of you guys were out there, hope you did well, as the chatter on channel 19 (the charteboat channel) was not painting a rosy picture of the fishing activity on Saturday and Sunday. Every time I see one out there, I wonder if mine looks as good as theirs does. You CAN spot a B-31 from a mile away! Not many other boats can make that claim! How was the boating activity this weekend where you guys are? Curious as to whether this is our local problem or a more widespread one. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

walter...have an old friend visiting and we went down to flaggy hole (gardiners bay)....by far the most boats i have seen on the bay all summer...........by far....we went for a dinner cruise a few nights ago and in 3 hours on the bay saw maybe 5 boats total........this afternoon from where we were we could see at least 30-40 sailboats and zillions of powerboats....5 of which were beached or just off shore of where we were...most ive ever seen there........and we werent boating because?.......port engine running like ........you know
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

The bay here had too many boats. It was crazy. They must have all come here instead of the point.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter
i will be out in montauk the weekend of sept 22 for a wedding, can you recommend a boat for bass that live lines, no wire please
Capt. Mike Holmes

Boating activity

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

We had a lot of rain and thunderstorms over the weekend here in Freeport, Texas, more predicted for today. Still, I saw a lot of trailers at the boat ramps, lots of cars in the marina parking lots. It has been pretty slow, maybe everybody wanted to take one last shot? Of course, seas not in thunderstorms were predicted at 1-2 feet, that usually brings a crowd out.

I was offshore the previous Sunday,stayed inside of 22 miles, for the most part, since it was a promo trip and I was working the boat by myself. We only saw one other boat fishing in that area, heard little on the radio, and the only boat I ran in with was the big Coast Guard cutter. Fishing was very poor that close in, so maybe everybody "in the know" was further out? All the outboard cowboys down here now think they have to run 100 miles out or they aren't real men. I expect the credit card companies to suffer huge losses due to unpaid gasoline bills and bankruptsies.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Talked to a friend in Baltimore on the Bay and his report was the same as here. A frenzy of boats of every description. Chiles showed up yesterday on his 26 while I was sweating over the Cummins and his report was the same.
"They're everywhere, They're everywhere."
Creek cruising until about eleven last night.
Damn, wish I were among them.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Very interesting responses. It's quite possible that the extra driving distance that usually necessitates overnighting (if it's a family outing), may affect the decision to make the trip. Charlie-one of the best Bass Fishermen out here is John DeMaio 631-324-8820. Give him a call. Live baiting out here seems to be live porgies this year, with you having to catch them first as they aren't sold. Give him a call and let him know your desires. If he's booked, we'll find you another guy. Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks walter
very familiar with that type of fishing
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

We took a long ride on AJ yesterday and I've never seen so many boats on the water in our area. The area around the Prop Stop on the Tickfaw was jammed to the point I had to weave thru the drunks anchored all over, bank to bank for a mile. Amazing to see the go-fast boats ripping all over at 100 mph. We slowly cruised into a wildlife mgt. area in the swamp and saw a big ole bald eagle.

But the B31 turns all the heads.

UV
jeffery pagano

Post by jeffery pagano »

At Montauk, Walter was right. On Sat/Sunday went to the the tails to fish and it was empty with no action, with few boats around. On the way home in over 70 nm, saw but 5 boats at around 4-6 pm and was wondering what was going on, great weather, good conditions, but few on the water.
My guess was that the fishing/boating budget for the summer was exhausted by Labor Day.

By the way, with the new props 18x24 4 blade (from 20x27) my fuel consumption decreased by 30%. While my cruise speed was decreased by 2 kts at 2200, the 6bta's were singing for hours on end. A beautiful sound.....

Around here, although the summer may have ended, the fishing has just begun.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have never seen so many boats at Block Island. It was fantastic!

Otherwise, just another normal busy weekend in the sound.

Steve, I owe you a huge apology. I am so sorry for whoofing this weekend up when it comes to fishing. It was all due to me and my inability to handle my phone forwarding. A true public apology is the least you deserve.

Dug
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Dug wrote:I have never seen so many boats at Block Island. It was fantastic!

Otherwise, just another normal busy weekend in the sound.

Steve, I owe you a huge apology. I am so sorry for whoofing this weekend up when it comes to fishing. It was all due to me and my inability to handle my phone forwarding. A true public apology is the least you deserve.

Dug
I too say B.I was very busy for Labor Day watched a Carver suck in a sailboats anchor line and put a hole in its side but we all know thats easy to do. Best part was after Boat U.S guy got them lose he almost did it again Boat U.S Captain was yelling at him " what are you doing, your going to do it again" I gave him his Sign!!

Sorry I miss you Dug and Steve I thought I had Steve's # with me but I left it home.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
clay

Post by clay »

Well it was crazy at South West Pass this weekend we had one go fast boat and a few die hard bay boats out at the end of the river for the weekend. Here are a few photos of the demolition of the light house. In the first photo you can see the go fast racing along on the outside of the jetty while the crew loads a dumpster on the first deck. The base of the watch tower on the second deck is disassembled and ready for cutting of the centeral core beams this will allow us to lift the 70' light house tower off of the structure and place it on a material barge for transport to Harvey LA. The Last photo is of the ever faithfull pushboat and home away from home "EMMA D" with our 150 ton crane barge.