Yanmar Question ...... Bruce

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Swick

Yanmar Question ...... Bruce

Post by John Swick »

Can anyone shed some light on a Mercruiser / Yanmar power joint effort with Merc's Bravo 3 outdrive mated to 310 diesel hp ?
What motor would that be ?
Is it a good combo ?
Any comments or insights ?
Thanks in advance.
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

John,

Are you looking at a diesel for the 25 now?

I had heard that the first combo between Yanmar and Bravo drives were pretty bad. My understanding was that the drives were not holding up. I think the drives have been beefed up since then though.

Ian.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I had looked into Diesel/outdrive combos last year for my 20 and my research led me to the Volvo D-3 series coupled with their composite Ocean series duoprop outdrive. Anyone I talked to about them praised their performance yet I couldn't find anyone who had the Yanmar/Bravo combo, nor find a sales person who sounded like he knew what he was talking about. My local Yanmar/Mercruiser marina was anxious to get the job, but had never installed one before. Either combo, it's big bucks but no Ethanol problems. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

They are using the 6lp 315hp.

Gary Nicholas, Jack's, son has a 37 Sterling with a pair of the Bravo #1 drives and the 6lp 315hp with the Teleflex controls.
Unfortunatly the boat maker went under during construction and was finished in haste.

Spent some time working out the kinks.

Did a Donzi with the setup and got 75mph wot.

The early setups used drives not rated for diesel torque. Merc didn't have them out yet.
I mated a pair of the 6ly 350hp to bravo's and the customer would get about 75 hours before the uppers would self destruct.

Rebuilt those 3x before the owner lost the boat.
Lost as in towing behind his 160' and the tow rope broke and nobody was paying attention.
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

Ian,
Mostly conjecture for now, but someone at the marina where my B25 Bahia Mar is staged for a full on resto/repower has expressed an interest in aiding and abetting the process.
A kind of 'pimp your ride' deal.
Anyways .... we shall see.
Bruce,
Hmmm.
Your opinion is valued and it doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement.
What about the 'new' BR3 o/d, is it up to the challenge ?
Walter,
In this situation, I'm willing to dance with the one that brings me to the party.
RussP

Post by RussP »

Bruce, If I rember corectly Morgan 2 had the Yanmar, Bravo jackshaft setup.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Since Merc came out with a high rpm diesel rated bravo, the combination is fine and I would not hestate to put one on my boat.

I was commenting on the earlier version that Ian posted about.

The Bravo 3 drive is just a duo prop version.

Upper ends where the cone clutch style shifting is the same.

Steyer I think has more engines over here in a sterndrive application than inboard.
If you were in Ft Lauderdale they had a neat fishing boat that was next to Kevins. That was a stern drive and it flew and handled nice.

Gary's boat has no problem with the drive package, it was more to do with the controls which I straightened out. Boat runs good.

Russ,
The first Morgan is what I was refferring to. I don't think you ever saw that boat. Engines were bolted direct to the transom plate with no jack shaft.

Morgan 2 used the 6LP 315 jackshafts with the later diesel rated Bravo drives.

Low rpm diesels are still a problem with torque and being able to swing a big enough prop that fits under the cavitation plate. The Bravo 2 drive helps with more clearance.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well it took me a while to find this but here it is

I was involved in the repower of some Navy RIB's several years ago. These boats were repowered with the Cummins engines, I think about 200 HP or slightly less, and a Konrad outdrive. I have been looking for this for a couple of weeks now...........I was misspelling Konrad.

The repower that I am refering to was setup with the engine midship and a 3 or 4 foot long drive shaft transmitting the power to the outdrive. The Konrad outdrive I am sure is rather pricey but its built like a Sherman Tank.........and you get what you pay for.

Take a look....

http://konradmarine.com/

Harry Babb
hb
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

If you read the current Marlin issue---they have tested a new 32 jarret bay-with this outdrive-jackshaft to a diesel. I think it is rated for 700ftlbs of torque.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I looked into Konrad and had a hard time getting response from customer service - phone calls and emails went unanswered - maybe because I'm from Canada - I sure would like to hear of any one buying one, how much it cost etc...