Dream Catcher Update??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Dream Catcher Update??

Post by Tommy »

What's the latest on the cause of the Dream Catcher taking on water? One post said she was towed in; I know the bow holds a pocket of air, but it's amazing to me that she could remain afloat long enough for her to be salvaged. Thanks for any info.

Tommy
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

My brother was part of the team that towed her in and did the underwater video of damage. Its hard to say and he is leaving it up to the professionals to determine the problem but I do know it's in the same area it was last year when he had the peel back problem. As far as staying afloat the hatches were off it and it had no air pocket, I guess the wood kept her afloat!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Soooo.......wood is good.......?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wood and several thousand gallons of diesel fuel!!!! I saw that front hatch blow in the video.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

If I was a betting man I would've bet that the iron in those diesels would prevail over the bouyancy of the wood and fuel in the boat. Like Vic says, I learn something new here every day.

Jimmy G, please post as new info becomes available.

Tommy
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Perhaps there was a nearly empty 1150 gallon fuel tank.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

empty tanks work great for floatation.............local lore has it a crew of pot smugglers tried to scuttle a small steel cargo ship off montauk two decades ago... but even with the seacocks open couldnt get her to sink......large empty tanks kept her afloat
Capt. Mike Holmes

Floating

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Randall, - or the boat was on a high!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
randall

Post by randall »

mike...know 2 people that were there.....both tell the same story.....of course since i be fishin......ive heard a lot of stories....worse than surfers...........it was how big?
JK

Post by JK »

There are a few pics on the web of the boat sitting in a marina yard after being raised. Roped off by "caution" tape and a red plywood board covering the suspect area. What a shame...Paul Mann builds beautiful boats. There are also at least 2 videos of the rescue, one from the neighboring boat and the other from a helo.

--JK
TailhookTom

Links?

Post by TailhookTom »

JK, do you have any links to those pictures? I did a google and found a couple of pics that look like they were taken with a cellphone. I'm curious because I fish on a boat of similar construction and I get a little nervous of some of this backyard engineering with 1,000 plus hp diesels putting a lot of torque on the hull.

Tom
TailhookTom

Thanks

Post by TailhookTom »

JK:

Thanks -- wow that is a shame -- they were lucky that all 7 aboard were rescued with no harm. Hitting something at 30 plus knots can sure put a world of hurt on a boat.

I did see a posting on another site -- I think BassBarn -- from the SeaTow captain who towed it in. Quite an event bringing her back. He mentions on there that his opinion is that the problem was related to a repair from previous damage during last year's Mid Atlantic 500.

Tom
JK

Post by JK »

JP Dalik

Bad dream

Post by JP Dalik »

The damage occurred 2 years ago in the Mid Atlantic, time flies guys, as far as fast boats go, If its cold molded with wood make mine vac bagged with epoxy thank you and add an extra layer for those 125 mile runs home in a southwester. Looks like thats the call for Mondays fish day. Happy I'm riding in a 570.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

My brother was one of the crew on the Sea Tow boat and has some great underwater video...I'll post it when I can (insurence stuff going on right now) and Yes the damage is in the same spot it was in the Midatlantic tournament a few years ago. i looked at the damage then and was suprized to see there was only one very thin sheet of glass(1/16") over the wood.
JK

Post by JK »

Update on the Dream Catcher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a little update and some answers to many questions being asked. We departed Cape May Thurs. 8/10 at 1600 hrs to begin salvage operations and completed approx 36 hrs later. When we arrived on scene our divers were able to rig the boat using a special sling configuration to allow for towing the Dream Catcher partially submerged (by our 50' vessel Northstar 4) into the Harbor of refuge at Cape Henlopen. The tow took approx 13hrs at 3.5 knots, Once inside the outer breakwall we patched the hole and prepared the boat for refloating with lift bags. This process took approx. 8hrs using 3 divers, numerous lift bags, compressors, 2 boats, 5 deckhand/riggers and 6 pumps etc. Once raised and dewatered, the vessel was towed and hauled out at our marina, Boat World, in Leesburg, Maurice River.

The hole is approx. 12 x 18" and is in the same location as a previous hole that was thought to have been caused by striking an underwater object two years ago. It appears to me to be more than just a simple delamination. At this point the vessel is in the hands of the insurance co. who is conducting an investigation to determine the cause of the damage. The engines have been pickled/preserved and we are awaiting further instruction from the ins. co.

While we appreciate the work, we are sorry to see such nice people (The Dillers, Capt Mike and mate Aaron) and such a nice vessel in a situation such as this and wish them all the best in their future boating endevours.

Sincerely,

Capt. Phil Risko
SeaTow Cape May

Dreamcatcher

Post by ed c. »

There IS more than meets the eye on that repair job. I was there a few days watching them replace the panel. Maybe they should have looked behind the panel a little better. I'll bet dollars to donuts there was something moving behind the outer panel . Sometimes things can't be seen by the naked eye. I just hope that is the last time that happens.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks JK,

Thanks for giving it to us from the horses mouth.

Tommy