ocean fishing in a kayak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

ocean fishing in a kayak

Post by randall »

yesterday the swell finaly laid down enough for my friend (and next door neighbor) marco and i to put away the surfboards and try to catch falsies off the point....first thing that happens is right after paddling through the shore break i hear "theres a large shark coming right at you"......thankfully turned out to be a sunfish but that first glimpse of the fin five feet away opened the adreniline valve a bit......we tried trolling deadly dicks as fast as we could paddle into mini blitzes and after four hours i was completely shot.......marco caught a nice fish....bonito i think ...when i got home and looked at what i thought was going to be a great shot of him holding the fish (posed horizontal) with the lighthouse in the background all i got was a little kayak and water.......oh well

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That sounds like too much exercise for me!! You need a trolling motor!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harv

Post by Harv »

Randall, stick to carving, surfing, and kayaking, and leave the photography to others.
Nice fish and what looks like nice conditions at the point.
randall

Post by randall »

harv...i like to think i could get half way good at anything visual....at this point i have to apologize to the cap't..........i made the same mistake you did by panning in to close (his shot of me has my hand on the fish and not much else)...it was a lot bumpier than it looks plus these big party boats kept steaming by really close ....two or three times between us and the beach.......when the wake hits the incoming swell right where you are...................................you get wet

Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Every summer, I mean EVERY SUMMER, we read about the crazies off Montauk in kayaks being pulled out to sea, guys in scuba gear with life vests fishing off shore, people being yanked off rocks that were exposed @ low tide but now the tides high.

It never seems to end. So, it's that time of yr again!
A/K/A El Gaupo
randall

Post by randall »

dick....after 45 years of paddling out there on a surfboard a kayak seems like a lot of boat....believe it or not we took wind,tide, and swell direction into account.....we litterally stopped paddling at 230 (drifted for fluke)and at 315 we washed up on the beach exactly where we wanted to get out...
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

must of been a s/w wind
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

randall
you live line some cows on the yak, that would be fun
randall

Post by randall »

charlie....southeast wind and swell.....we put in at the airbase.....its real rocky but you can drive pretty close to the water....although it didnt seem that close on the way home
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Since when did you think of that part of the journey when contemplating.......?
you're not that old.
Yet
"the stern"
good idea!
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Who said; you wanted to try Kayak (What Kind Of Fishing!)

[img][img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r210 ... 8c0CLQ.jpg[/img][/img]

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Run ! ! Forest ! ! ! Run ! ! ! !
hb
randall

Post by randall »

yeah. ive seen that whole sequence ....and when my friend said "theres a large shark heading right for you"....thats exactly what went through my head.....wasnt as bad as the next morning after seeing jaws....anchored the boat about a quarter mile off the beach and paddled through the kelp bed into the break (central california).........my friend blake starts going ....dum dum, dum dum......dum dum ,dum dum ......i was suddenly scared sh!tless......turned out to be a classic day of surfing however..............pinas bay river mouth is a little spooky too
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Randall-were those False Albacore at the Point? Was there a misquito fleet of fly casters there? Havent been to the Point for a week and a half and wondered if their Fall migration has started. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

walter.....they were off turtle cove....not a giant blitz but seperate mini blitzes here and there.....did you ever wind up going to estia?.....jesse dosnt work there anymore....went to a party tonight and he wa the bartender
Harv

Post by Harv »

Randall,

Caught Larry Hoff on WB 11 news yesterday.
He was kayak surfing at Long Beach.
Looked rather wimpy surfing on 2 foot waves.
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

harv...kayak surfing is for folks that cant actually surf..(although i gave it a go in panama)..friend from the city calls me and says what are you doing home...its pumping......says a friend from montauk called him so he called me.....jump in the truck and hit the local jetty...head high and glassy.....cowabunga dudes!!
Harv

Post by Harv »

folks that can't actually surf?
that would be me dude!!
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

well...when vic was makin fun of me cause i didnt know dick about fishing i told him i was gonna catch a fish a long time before he caught a wave...he told me i had that right...hey....almost no one surfs...thank god...its too crowded as it is
Harv

Post by Harv »

Rawleigh wrote:That sounds like too much exercise for me!! You need a trolling motor!!
Rawleigh,

You may be on to something. But I think I found something better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9ryf-Uam0g&NR=1
Harv
randall

Post by randall »

harv.......contrary to the claim in the video they have been around in one form or another for decades...guy at my marina had one...was a pretty prolific fisherman
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Sorta like the powered surfboard.....remember that one Prof? Yo Honor?

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

How is that different from the incredibly annoying jetski/PWC other than the fact that it is steered by a paddle?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
randall

Post by randall »

hey i got a few shares of powered surf board myself........most of the powered kayaks (and canoes) are slow and relativly quiet.....not jet skis at all.....this guy(video) is just waiting for a small obsticle in the water to ruin his day
Harv

Post by Harv »

randall wrote:harv.......contrary to the claim in the video they have been around in one form or another for decades...guy at my marina had one...was a pretty prolific fisherman
I've seen them also at the shows for the past few years.
I just thought a jet powered kayak would catch some eyes,
and yes, they mentioned the possibility of some ice clogging
the works and sinking the kayak.
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Randy,

Surfs up on Tuesday, Duuude...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
randall

Post by randall »

thanks patrick....largest waves i ever surfed on the east coast were compliments of hurricane" gabrielle"...sept 1989.....started out with 30 guys and overhead surf...surf started to build and i told myself i would stay out till i either wiped out or straigened off making paddleing back a risk.......two hours later it was triple overhead plus plus and myself and two friends were the only ones left.....they are both acomplished big wave surfers...finally i didnt make a wave and when i got the beach...i couldnt believe it.how big it was.......surprised that name came around again so quick