Shaft lengths

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

Shaft lengths

Post by Tom »

As alot of you know I own a 36 Timmy boat (hat). Broke a shaft this past Fri and she's on the hard. Located a used 1 3/4" Aquamet 22 shaft. It has 108 hours on it before the 38 Blackfin it came from was repowerd and went to 2" shafts. My other is also an Aquamet 22 but will be 1.5" shorter than the used one I am considering. Will be there be a problem in either performance or mechanically by using a slightly different shaft length, all else being equal? My prop guy says no, Slane Marine says no, yellowbeard the mechanic at Land and Sea diesel says no. What say the faithful?-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Dos Cervezas, por favor.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Senor Hyena, el longa shaft mucho bueno no mas. El distanco betweeno el struto and salanda de prop no exceedo uno shafto diametero. Conprende?

Will work fine til it breaks. Cut it, machine shop the "U" keyway and use it. I know it's summer and time is a wasting, but do it right, or at least plan on doing it right later.

UV
Tom

Post by Tom »

Yo comprendo jefe.

I thought as much but couldn't get any "experts" to agree. They are maching right now and after the new props this afternoon, and some wax in the morning to the topside, we'll be under way.
Viva la Presidente!
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Yepper Tim. Me no comprende Espaniol but Englais petite. Mucho "Cracker Talk"
Just make sure you get it spooned and cut and the coupling faced and fit by a shop that has a good reputation for doing shafts. Most shops can not do shafts well. So If you have to send it away 100 miles to get it done right do it. My one before last 1 1/2" only lasted me 11 months. Never will I have a friend do it because he was good at something else in marine. Shafts are their own animal and must be done by a good shaft shop.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

The keyway must have radiused edges or stress cracking can occur.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31