Velvet Drive 72 leak

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Velvet Drive 72 leak

Post by John F. »

I have a slight leak in both trannys where the rod thing that the shifter lever bolts up to comes out of the box. Parts explosion looks like there's a small o-ring there. I know zero about tranny stuff. Is this easy, or do I call in a pro. Thanks.

John F.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Saw my mechanic yesterday but forgot to ask him for you. Have you checked w/ebasic to see if they have some sort of seal in their parts listing? My guess is that if you can't replace a seal by taking the arm off, you will end up having to disassemble the whole tranny. Is it the transmission on the motor you have having trouble getting full RPMs out of?

Got the water pump on my port engine done yesterday...went to chase schools of blues and rock last night.

Who should I call at QAM to do a short haul so I can re-attach the swim platform?

Thanks
John F.

Post by John F. »

Crae-

Haven't checked anything of the trannys yet. I'm hoping to get some B31 wisdom here (anyone? Buehler? Buehler?) Ask for Patrick at QAM, he'll take care of you. Went out last night at around 7 w/Ty--ran into rocks and blues right out front. Got a bunch of blues and 2 keeper rock, and we were home cleaning up by 8. Blackened blues for dinner tonight. Life is good on the shore...........

John
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
Remove 3 bolts holding the neutral saftey switch plate on. There will be a plate inside once that is off.

Then remove shift handle.

Spool valve will push out thru the N safety switch hole.

Replace oring on valve, oil and insert the way it came out.

Replace gasket on the safety switch plate and install assembly as it came out.

Install shift lever and tighten nut. Handle is slotted btw.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Bruce-

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

John F.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

John I have a repair manual for the 71 series. The o-ring stuff looks the same as Bruce described. If you need a picture let me know. It does look really simple.
I got my port motor back together and everything is ok. Runs good. Boy the headgaskets are a big job. The removal and reassembly is not too bad. A head weights about 150#. Cleaning all the surfaces is a real PITA. Torquing the heads just takes muscle. I need lots of practice on setting valve backlash. George did that job. The side under the galley was a challenge. I had one injector line leaking so that needed replacing. The leak was very slight so I ran it anyway; but now everything is 100%. Good luck with you leaks.
John F.

Post by John F. »

Charlie-

Thanks. Pretty loaded up with work, so its going to be a little while until I get to the trannys. Sounds like you had your work cut out for you on the 3208s. Ain't this fun...

John F.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The o-ring stuff looks the same as Bruce described
Amazing, isn't it.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Hehe!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31