Wet Genset

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DRIFTER31

Wet Genset

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Help.....I just purchaced a low hr 5.5Northern Lights genset and it seems to have been splashed with salt water. Before i install in my boat should i spray CorrosionX into windings first to clean?Thanks Bertram Gurus
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Yep, douse everything with CX, wait a day, then do it again. Use the red can regular CX.

UV
algillen

Post by algillen »

Salt water on a generator usually leads to subsequent problems that don't immediately show themselves. Your best bet is to clean it up, test it out, and if it looks OK, you can install with the understanding that if it fails, you may have to haul it back out again and make repairs. Really hard to guess how likely it is to fail unless you have some idea if there was any water pentration into the windings. If so, your prospects are not great long term. Being most B31s get the generators installed outboard of one of the motors, you may want to go an extra round and have it looked at by a dealer to increase your potential for long term success.
Not everybody can own a Bertram 31
Email: algillen@yahoo.com
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Thanks ....It was installed by previous owner between main engines and got salt water slung on it from packing glands. I have it apart for paint work and general maintenance. The windings look great but i will spray CX inside just to be sure. Worse case is new back half @ 1600.00