Buying a project 1963 31 FBG

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joe W. Terrell

Buying a project 1963 31 FBG

Post by Joe W. Terrell »

I have found a very origional 1963 31FBC. It appears that the only equipment added is a very old VHF. In the early eighties it was repower with "Hydroforce 6.2L Diesels. The engine controls are mechanical and the transmission controls are air. Can any of you help with the following/

1. Any knowledge of "Hydroforce 6.2L" Diesel engines?
2. Any knowledge of air operated transmission linkage?
3. What is the range of price for a 31 that looks seldomed used, is hardware complete, in the water, so I know it floats. It may be operational and just old and tired or it not may be operational. I am sure there is a wide range with so little information but any ideas would be more than I have now.
4. I intend to have a survey, are there specific items to look for or just the general items found in old glass boats?

Any help is very much appreicated. joe
Joe Terrell
Anchorage, Alaska
907-563-0013
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I've never seen pneumatic contorls on such a small boat. The 100+ foot Menhaden fishing boats around here use them. Seems overly complicated and prone to failure on a small boat. Don't know about the engines. Sounds like a "marinization" company.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ted_R

Air controls

Post by Ted_R »

Caution!! No quick shifting with air!. It takes time for the air pressure to release from one direction before moving the lever to the alternate position. I've got a video of a 1920's 80' yacht that rammed a boat and then the concrete sea wall at the marina where I had a slip some years ago. I'd post it, but I can't even post a still on this site!( not a slam of this site, mearly a comment on my computer skills) By the way, the seawall lost! The cause was the transmissions were locked in fwd> The captain(a seasoned mississippi tug driver who had brought the boat all the way from Ca, thru the panama canal to Fl) was trying to put the boat in a slip, shifted into reverse too quickly, air was then locked in the fwd line and the boat did not stop its fwd motion. He decided it must need more power, so he gunned the engines. The result was a video destined for "Americas Funniest "
""Procrastinate now!"
Harv

Post by Harv »

Ted,

If you have the video saved on your computer, email it to me as an attachment and I might be able to post it on the boards for you.

Animo916@aol.com
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Joe,

Had a talk with Bruce this morning & inquired about the 6.2 diesel...

This engine, along with the 6.5 were GM's attempt to convert V8 gasoline engins into diesel, primarily for truck applications. The 6.2 was the less successful of the two & the 6.5 wasn't tremendously better.

A small few marine companies then tried their hand at marinizing them, again with limited success. Hydroforce was obviously one of these companies, but apparently didn't do many & doesn't seem to be in that business any longer.

The bottom line, between Bruce & I, are that if they are running, run 'em until they fail and repower. Don't waste time & money trying to rebuild or do major repairs... Buy the boat knowing that a repower is going to be needed, possibly sooner than later.

The air controled transmission is not something that you'd want to keep. Straight mechanical is all that is needed on a B31.

Seldom used is often a bad thing; "use it or lose it" is a good adage... A seldom used, nearly stock '63 is going to need alot of TLC & updates, both cosmetic & structural. Rotten wood, gelcoat cracking, strut backing, wiring, repower, etc.

This puts the boat into a low "project boat" realm. Max selling price? Around $30K & maybe not worth more than $20K depending on other issues.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe