Bahia Mar restore

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. Mike Holmes

Bahia Mar restore

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I visited with Noe Martinez at Dos Amigos Boatyard down the creek from me this morning. He has the molds Cabrerra used for Bahia Mar control pods and engine boxes, plus the entire hull mold for the "Classic 31". They are preparing to trick out a Bahia Mar wrecked during Katrina, and expect to display it at the Houston boat show in January, along with some of the parts they will be making, I assume. The new bulkheads are being cut out of Coosa board, and Capt. Pat is right, this is good stuff. Noe said he weighed a piece, then soaked it in a bucket of water for 3 weeks and weighed it again - no weight gain. The stuff weighs almost nothing.

Noe has decided to use Steyr engines in the boat instead of John Deeres. He said something in Spanglish that I think meant "lighter", plus cheaper and betetr economy.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
scot

Post by scot »

I try to make the Houston Boat Show every year and if they finish the boat by January it will be the slickest boat there hands down. I like the show but it's ALL about outboard powered trailer boats....with 3 or 4 boats that interest me. I think the Classic 31 will get a lot of attention, I'm already looking forward to seeing it.

I can't figure out why Albemarle, Carolina Classic, CABO etc. don't bring boats to that show...it's a huge event and Houston residents aren't exactly broke? We are lucky if there's a Luhrs to look at.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. Mike Holmes

Houston Show

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Two years ago Bertram had the 36 there, but you'r right, it's been sadly under represented in larger boats for a long time. I remember seeing a 31 Bert there in the 80's, when they were still being produced. It had factory installed 3208's, and I later sort of knew the guy who bought it. I watched it from the deck of a beach house at San Luis Pass once, running down the beach, just offshore, in heavy seas. They were running to Freeport to fuel up, and the boat looked damn good plowing across the seas.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
scot

Post by scot »

I guess I missed the Bertram, the only bigger boats I ever see are the SeaRay shag carpeted Clorox bottles.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I think the answer is, if one wanted to buy a big boat new, they would go to the shows in Florida. Be nice to see one or two in Houston, but to do any realistic comparision shopping. Florida is the place.
Garry

Post by Garry »

Hyena Love,

Lil Bert got any blood on it yet since receiving engine transplants?

Garry