ZF gears

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

ZF gears

Post by JohnCranston »

Does anyone know where's the best place to find model 220a 2 to 1 gears? I'd like to buy new if possible. Not much luck here in Houston.

Thanks
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
nic

Post by nic »

John,

Normally you buy them in a package from the engine manufacturer if you are buying new. I believe you end up paying a lot more when you buy them individually and if there are issues with the fitting then you have warranty discontinuity which will be a source of frustration forever.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
In our area there are 2 companies that repair, repower and maintain yachts.........Middleton Marine and Saunders Yacht company.......both of these companies can get ZF gears and parts. Not all of the marinas are dealers for engines and gears althought they advertise and do work on engines

Also I am sure that the Cummins dealer, Cat dealer, Yanny dealer or Mann dealer in your area can get the gears for you and even assist mounting them onto your engine.......if needed.............

I would certainly recommend getting them from some one near you.....

Harry Babb
hb
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

John,

I think Palmer Power in Houston carries them.

DanielM
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

John, When I had some quetions about my zf280's re-gearing or buying new. I looked up the number on their website and gave them a call. They answered all of my questions questions though the prices were steep. I'm not sure if the 220 is much different, but the 280A's were quoted at $4800. Buy them with a package if you can, it should be cheaper.

I found a set loacally, still had to buy some parts to get them to work, but they had never been in service so I get some warranty from them.

If your local rep isn't anygood try the listing for Stevensville Maryland.

br,
JohnD
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks guys,
I found a pair of Yanmar 315's with ZF 220a gears. The wrong gear ratio...1 to 1.25. He bought them new 3 years ago and was going to install them in a aluminum cat. He decided to go with Suzuki 300 hp outboards. Engines never used. He wants $32k for everything. Doesn't appear that there's any market for those gears. I got a quote on new gears yesterday for $7k for a pair of 2 to 1's. Trying to make this deal work, but not sure if it is.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

John I had got mine from Tony Athens Seaboard Marine good price and great people too do business with.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

That sounds like a decent deal and I know you've been looking for a while. I had a similar situation, the package I got came with 2:1's and that would have required me to increase shaft angle to turn a bigger wheel. So I found a pr of 1.5:1 and saved about $1k each and need to sell the 2:1's, you shure you cant use a 280A? (it may be a little big.... for what you need).

Keep looking, thats how I found the ones I needed & the 220A is a popular gear so a set should turn up some where. Heck, call the local yanmar dealer and see if they'd swap you??

br,
John
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

John,

I'm going to call the guy and see if he would contact the dealer he bought them from and see if he can get them swapped.

Thanks
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Call the local ZF- this could be your local cummins distributor- see if you can work out a swap if not get a price to change the ratio.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
nic

Post by nic »

John,

I agree, you should be able to change the ratio - that sounds like a very reasonable deal. If the engines are 2001 manufacture date or earlier they will be in the "ticking" problem era. It's not easy to find out the date from the engine No.s but you should be able to track the selling dealer.

Good luck, we love our Yannies and paid double that plus.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

JP,

I called a local ZF dealer earlier today. He called ZF directly and was told that as long as the gears were never put into service, then, they would either swap the gears or change the ratio on mine. They want the serial # off the gears before they can give a price. I'm waiting on the seller to get back with me.

Thanks
scot

Post by scot »

Doesn't appear that there's any market for those gears.
I can tell you first hand that there are basically no gears around in the "near" 1:1 range. The only 1:1 type gears out there are Borg Warners and Allison....one too small and one too big! and neither with down angles.

John it sounds like a nice deal and they will push the boat nicely. Good luck.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0