Generator voltage

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RAWicklund

Generator voltage

Post by RAWicklund »

Kevin had started a thread earlier concerning Honda generators and his AC. Bruce had locked the thread from additional posts due to his fear of erroneous and off tangent info being posted.

I just wanted to clear up a couple issues and share some additional info I found out about Honda generators.

Honda claims the use of “Honda Inverter Technology”

If you measure the voltage on a Honda EU series generator (3000is and smaller) you will get 60V to ground from both the Blk. And Wh. Wires. And 120V between the Blk. & Wh.

These are the same readings you get on your computer battery backup if you lose power.

This is different from household current where
L1(Blk) to ground OR Neutral is 120V
Neutral(Wh) to ground is 0V

Many people think that your ground wire is merely a redundant neutral and can (should) be bonded. This is not the case no matter what type of generator or power source you use.

So especially on any system that you use your Honda generator, your Neutral must not be bonded to ground anywhere in the system, or you will feed 60V to all grounded surfaces.

I have found this same setup on an older Craftsman generator —I’m sure not the same technology as Honda- But the same voltage readings.

Honda also claims that you can parallel like series generators for additional Amps. (Suicide cord between the 2?)

If your still confused, spray it with CX :->

Clear as mud?
Ray
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

They offer a cord "kit" to hook them together.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31