220 HP Volvo TAMD60B engines - Any Good?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JULI

220 HP Volvo TAMD60B engines - Any Good?

Post by JULI »

I'm looking at a '68 sportfish model with Volvo TAMD 60B engines. I don't know anything about them. Does anyone out there have an opinion on these particular engines for a 31? Thanks for your help.
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I have the TAMD60C's , 250HP. They have an upgrade electrical system and some other features but the same block as the B. The 60 series is a very good block. Just take care of your cooling system. I back flush mine after every run then inject salt-tex 15 seconds per engine. The "B" block is a little older . How many hours on it? Mine were made circa 1990. The B's are a little older than that. After market coolers are available and I am using one in my port. If the price is right and less than 2000 hours I'd go for it. I have 1600 hours on mine. They had 340 hours on them when I purchased the boat in 2000. They are considered 8,000 hour engines.
I believe together used these engines can be had for about $10,000 for the pair. So go from there. Only big drawback is the OEM parts are not cheap but they are available. Check further to satisfy your curiosity on boatdiesel.com and do a search on the engine forum. Dave K
Keep Fishing...