John Deere Deisels

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

When I looked at them they were 2000 lbs, 200 HP, and wouldn't fit in the space that's availible.

Just because Yanmar makes a great tractor engine......doesn't mean that Deere makes a great marine engine.

Unless they're giving them away, I would steer clear of the Deere.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Ditto what the Prof says, too big, won't fit in a B31. Weight wise the boat will handle a ton a side like the Cat 3208s, but the Deeres are just too bulky. Stick with the in line 6s like Cummins or Yannies, seem to be the best based on the experience here......and if nothing else, we got a ton of collective experience screwing with these old boats.

UV
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Many of the commerical boats out of Manasquan are running John Deer's. I saw a 26 Sisu with one. Boat ran great. JD has a great rep with the guys who make a living with their boats. Too bad they don't really fit a 31B well.
Capt. Mike Holmes

JD

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

The boatyard down from me has two 31 Bahia Mar's he plans to put Deere's in. I talked to a broker during my repower search who said they had squeezed a pair in a 31 being shipped to Puerto Rico. He said if you can fit them in, they run forever, burn very little fuel, and parts are cheap. I know a charter captain with a pair in a 36 Chris, his are 300 hp, seem to do real well. When I talked to the Deere rep, I think he was talking 220 hp for the inline 6's he thought would fit in my boat - maybe. They are heavy, and big, but they run at real low rpm, develope maximum hp at real low rpm, made to pull at real low rpm.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
scot

Post by scot »

John Deere 6081AM
235hp - 375hp
57" long x 33.61 wide x 40.54 tall
1,875lbs dry

I have always heard these guy's will run forever, the dimensions are not that bad. Maybe a 33 Bert could handle one. I would think the height may be the problem in a 31....maybe the lenght? it's appears to be about 2" longer than a 6BTA. Width is virtually the same. Weight is fine.

You can check out the data sheets at boatdiesel.com
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Got a quote for Progressive Diesel in Pearland Texas. For the Deere 300hp engines with gears $56K - drive out. A little strong!
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Mike Moran

John Deer diesel

Post by Mike Moran »

I have a John Deer diesel tractor mid size 4 wheel drive bucket, mower deck ect. it has a yanmar engine can't kill it, thats why I have them in my boat. John Deer does make a good diesel though.