An Amazing B20 Barron

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RussP

An Amazing B20 Barron

Post by RussP »

Here is a link to one of the most amazing B20 re-fits yet.
http://simplifying.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=239

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Beautiful!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Russ,

Thanks for sharing that! Rocket, amazing. You should be absolutely and incredibly proud of yourself. That boat is gorgeous! Just beautiful.

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

like i said on the25 site...OH BABY!!!!! (blue).....should get the wheels spinnin in mikes head
Dug

Post by Dug »

I wonder what he has in it for power...

D
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I put in the Volvo 5.7 OSXi. That is a 320 HP V8 mated to the Volvo XDP duoprop composite drive. I have not GPS'd it yet, but it is the quickest boat that I've been on. She digs the big "Bertram Hole", so tracks perfectly. A very nice handling package, really happy with it.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Rocket,

She is beautiful!

Dug
clay

Post by clay »

Hey - here is a good lookin barron on e-bay needs some work but owner says it still runs fine at 55mph. starting bid 5K no bidders it is up in the great white north (Chesapeak VA)

1969 20' Bertram Baron 1969 not Donzi, Formula, Baja, boat Item number: 190135037470
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am interested in this boat. I am going to talk to the owner tomorrow and may go to see it tomorrow night. Wish me luck and please don't bid against me. Any suggestions on a fair price?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
clay

Post by clay »

Good Luck, Rawleigh the Barron is a big old hole digger with lots of speed, you won't need any ballast tanks to get great wake boarding at 25 mph.

Clay
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sort of like the 31, eh? I am going down to look at it this afternoon, and will report back what I find!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Rawleigh, the Barons had foam in the floor. If the foam is saturated, the boat will weigh 4,000 to 4,500 lbs instead of 3,000 and no amount of power will make her fast. If you can, take the boat to a truck scale and weigh it. The trailer will weigh around 1,000 lbs. I paid $7,650 for one with no power and foam problems, but that included a very nice trailer. I think a running one with no foam is probably a $20,000 boat. I'm in to mine for about $50,000, so it is cheaper to buy a good one then restore a bad one, having said that I got exactly what I wanted and nicer than any new 20' boat on the market for less money.
chris pague

20 Baron

Post by chris pague »

Rawleigh; Did you and your buddy look at the Baron? What did you find?

Chris
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

rawleigh
how did you make out with the baron on e bay, are you in or out. or did the owner pull the plug
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Auction just ended, high bid was $8,100, reserve not met. Figure Rawleigh has a deal on the side? It is a Baron, but real rough looking.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Nothing yet. We went and looked at it, but he would not say what he would take for it if the auction didn't meet reserve. He thinks he has a gold mine. He is a marine engineer! Need I say more. Strange fellow. Says he will redo it himself if it doesn't sell. It needs $10,000 to $20,000 spent on it at least. The engine is shot. It has a TRS drive on it which means it has a velvet drive on the big block. He cut the strap in front of the engine hatches to get it in. The transom cutout for te TRS is larger than the cutout for the Bravo, etc, so a structural transom rework would be required. It needs a small block with a dual prop outdrive. Also the tank has had ethanol in it, so it needs to be yanked. We will see if he comes back to us, but we are inclined to wait for the next one.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Good discipline Rawleigh, I bet it also has wet foam and minor transom issues. Upholstry is shot, there is never less than meets the eye on a project. That said, the Baron is a pretty fun boat. If it runs, run it 'till you need to fix it.

I hate auctions with reserve and no Buy it Now. Don't drink and bid or you may end up owning an old Buick because you were curious about the reserve...