B31 search update...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sweetnut

B31 search update...

Post by Sweetnut »

Fellas, It worked out after all, and I will be closing on the B31 Joanies Three (surveyed in August) this Friday. Beyond excited. After the closing, John Lane and Forked River Diesel will be performing the 1000 hr service (the Cummins 6BTA 270's are about 875 right now), and then she will brought to her new home out in Southold, Long Island. Lots of smaller projects to do over the winter, which I am looking forward to. Thank you all for your help and guidance during the search. I appreciate it all. Would like to post pics, but embarrassed to say not sure how to upload from my files.
Ron
Carl

Re: B31 search update...

Post by Carl »

Very Happy for you, hope she surpasses your expectations!

Pictures r a pain…

I open Imgur, new post, slide over pics or download picture.

When loaded find the share link, use the one for a forum. Copy link n paste in your post.

It’s ez, but a lot of steps.

If you want email pics to me n I’ll post carl@simachine.com
Carl

Post by Carl »

-
-

Pictures By Ron- AKA Sweetnut-
-
-
-

Carl

Post by Carl »

Ron,

Let me be the first to say Congratulations, you found one sweet looking boat! If she runs half as good as she looks your aces....wow!
Great find, many years of enjoyment!

Carl
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Congrats! Great looking boat. A few of us here have that engine configuration and love it. Low maintenance, excellent cruise speed and efficient! Best of luck.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ron, looks like you found a 31 in excellent condition and well taken care of. I noticed several nice upgrades like the replacement PVC rub rail as well as the Glass-Tec cockpit deck. The 270 HP Cummins are an excellent power plant for these 31s. Congratulations and let the fun begin!!!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Congrats! Looks fine! Wishing you many years of good times.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

What an epic find, a Bertram 31 in excellent original configuration and condition. The only updates I see are sensible and in keeping with the character of our boats. You easily have $150,000 in upgrades. Congratulations!
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tell John that I said he better take good care of you. Tell him you are part of the family.

John is one of the best shops around. He has repowered several boats from this board. If you have any issues, see Debbie who runs the office, and she will beat him up. LOL

When do you think you will have her over there? I will swing over to see her in person.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Sweetnut

Post by Sweetnut »

Thank you all for the welcome and kind words. My previous 31 had the 6Bts 210, and I liked them very much. I was hoping to find the 6BTA's at 270, because of the simplicity and the added HP. Tony, I am bringing the boat to John tomorrow, Friday. Am a little nervous; I am unfamiliar with the water from Pt Pleasant to Wareton and through The IWC and Barnegat Bay. Any tips or suggestions other than the obvious. Will the Draft will be ok (strong NNE tomorrow and tide). Absolutely go check out the boat while at Johns.
Ron
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It actually is not a bad run. You have no wake zone that is pretty much from the mouth of the Point Pleasant canal until you get about a half mile past the Mantaloking bridge. If you have binoculars, I would bring them. If you follow the chart on your GPS you should be pretty good, but the markers are pretty far apart.

Once you get under the Toms River (Mathis) Bridge, just stay in the channel markers until you get past the mouth of the Tom's River which is right there.

After that it is a straight shot south. Just stay at least a 1/4 mile off the West side and you will be good. Watch out for Crab pots as you get close to Forked River. They stick the dam things all over the place and the markers they use are horrible.

Once you hit the mouth of Oyster Creek Channel, Holiday Harbor and Johns Place are due west. You will see the dredge barge working the mouth of Oyster Creek Channel so you will not miss it.

You will see the BI Buoy which is what you should key on since that sits at the mouth of Oyster Creek Channel. The water gets a little skinny right at the mouth of that channel so stay more to the BI Buoy. Holiday Harbor is due west from there.

Unfortunately, I will not be down there until tomorrow night otherwise I would make the run with you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

She looks great, with great power. Congratulations and enjoy the ride
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

The boat looks great. Congrats on the purchase - hope it brings many smiles for many years
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Snipe

Post by Snipe »

Very nice boat best of luck with her!! Great power plant much more life left in them with those hours.
Jason
THESALTYSATO

Post by THESALTYSATO »

Congratulations on your new to you and your great looking boat. I have had mine for 8 years and my only regret is that I did not purchase one sooner.
Wonderful ride and they turn heads for second and sometimes third looks with generally a thumbs up by other boaters. They are just jealous because they don't have one. They purchased a production boat and now have buyers remorse. The quality and the lines are not there. For 64 years and counting - Nothing like a Bertram 31.