Yanmar Maintenance

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

cariedl

Yanmar Maintenance

Post by cariedl »

Quick question as we head for end of season boating here in Ohio and thinking through fall/winter maintenance, I am due for 500 hour interval maintenance on my engines (Yanmar 230hp 4HLA). Motors have been trouble free since I've bought the boat and i did the 1000hr service interval 4 years ago that included injectors, removing after cooler, oil cooler, heat exchanger to clean and inspect for blockages and replacing turbocharger intake boots.

Toward the end of the season I noticed the slower than usual spool for turbos, a good 45 seconds or so once I pushed throttles forward, but eventually they would spool and then off to the races. But I also noticed a good deal of soot on the stern and black smoke once under power with turbos spun up.

I'm thinking about the following this winter and also curious if others have done any of this maint a ballpark on what costs were
- Injectors
- fuel filters
- test turbo boost pressure
- remove exhaust mixer and inspect exhaust outlet inside turbo
- turbo wash

thanks.
Yannis

Re: Yanmar Maintenance

Post by Yannis »

Hohoho! Ive done turbos this winter… Brace!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Sounds like it could also be a dirty bottom or dirty air filters? Have you checked those at a minimum? The soot could obviously be a number of things but sounds like they are working a bit hard on the get go and once under way.
cariedl

Post by cariedl »

Air filters are good and bottom is clean, we run the boat a lot. Those motors are right on the edge of being undersized, they definitely work hard when under power and have always produced some soot/black smoke when we get going and are underway, but I've noticed i'm spending more time scrubbing when we get back to the dock and the smoke when underway has become more visible.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

I purchased a turbo for mine last winter at like 3800 bucks. I decided I'd wait to purchase the other turbo later on to make me feel better about not spending so much at one time. The second turbo ended up costing about 5000. They went up significantly
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you need turbos, check out Turbo Turbos for pricing.

https://turboturbos.com/

My friend has the same engines in his 28. He replaced the Turbo's and still loads up the transom. I put on more hours on my Cummins 270's and my transom has soot on it, but nothing like he does. From a distance it is hard to tell I even have any soot.

Could be a lot of things. Checking the Turbo Boost is the easiest and cheapest start. If that is good, then take a look at the props. Could be injectors, but I would start with the simple stuff first.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

A friend has a 9m boat with a single IVECO. Not sure of hp. He experiences soot and the motor not reving as it used to.

He suspects the turbo not functioning properly OR his heat exchangers being clogged. This latter would contribute to temperatures higher than usual and a message sent to the electronic system to not allow higher revs to protect the motor.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"