Hinge rear cockpit floor on a 28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kross1

Hinge rear cockpit floor on a 28

Post by kross1 »

Hello all
I was thinking of trying to hinge the rear cockpit floor on my 28.
The rear floor is removable but it’s very awkward to handle.
Has anybody done this?
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Yannis

Re: Hinge rear cockpit floor on a 28

Post by Yannis »

What is the rear floor?
Are you talking about that whole floor that covers all the rear space?

It weighs at least 40 kilos, do you think it is hingeable??
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Here are images of my cockpit sole. As you can see it hinges from the sides and allows me to lift the center section for access. The center piece is still heavy though and best managed with two.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
kross1

Post by kross1 »

The rear cockpit floor on a Bertram 28 is different than a 31. There is a removable section that is usually caulked down semi permanently. I was hoping to put that section on a hinge it’s approximately 5 x 8. There are five smaller hatches that are removable within that large section.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Its 235 x 180 so at least 6x8 and cannot be removed by less than 2-3 people. I sincerely doubt this surface can be hinged, its too heavy.

I removed all silicone caulking and all screws permanently , it rests in place without any problem by its sheer weight and I remove it once a year to check what is to be checked, but from this to go hinge it I cannot see how.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I did ponder that idea when I was doing lots of work to the boat years ago. I decided against it for several reasons. Curvature in floor against transom wouldn't allow hinge point. Hinge at the the front would not work since the floor would strike the cleats when trying to swing open. More water would be introduced to the bilge without proper sealing surface/caulk etc. I always wanted to better utilize the voids on either side of the tank for accessible storage. Not impossible but that would be big project.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I know it would be a little bit of a challenge. If you hinge the deck by the step down, I think it might clear the cleats, but the angled rope glides might be the problem. I think the corners of the deck would have to be cut on an angle the pieces that you cut off would have to be glass to the floor and then you would have to reinforce the deck that you cut the corners off. A lot of work. I was just wondering if anybody did it.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nobody did it and nobody will, because although what both of you mention about clearances and stuff may be doable, the real problem is twofold:

Excessive weight to hinge, and

BLOCKED access to the cabin and motors when the sole is open either way.

Unless you hinge it sideways. But its too heavy to do that too.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Sounds like a challenge to me. :-D
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Maybe this winter I’ll give it some more thought
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Aug 29th, '24, 14:29 Nobody did it and nobody will, because although what both of you mention about clearances and stuff may be doable, the real problem is twofold:

Them there...those sound like fighting words Yannis! lol

Nobody may have done it because nobody wanted it done enough to do it or had the means to do it.

The impossible takes a little longer and often comes with a price tag...but I know it can be done.

At the very least, a set of tracks, new top panels hinged to lift or fold from the middle with ends held in track. Lift, lock n slide to either side as a unit.

As mentioned, cut off the ends that do not clear, mount to existing structure with flange under for hinged panel to sit.

If the hinges your thinking of are not capable...built or find better hinges.
Fabricate lighter panels...
Fabricate panels in different configuration
Modify structure under to accept.
Lay down a support system to hold several light removable panels/hatches where access is wanted.

I agree not easy, I disagree with impossible.

Feasible...that depends on how much its wanted
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

See, when I read this yesterday, I was thinking of splitting the middle for and aft, and making a 2 piece system that will open port and starboard. you could run a piano hinge on the port and starboard side.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

I really don’t want to split the deck. It’s some thing that’s going to be used once or twice a season the rest of the time it will be sealed up. I just had to change A shaft that had broke on me. I did it through the hatches and it was a pain in the ass. Also, would be nice to be able to open it while the boat is in the water. No need for a forklift or four people. some great ideas thank you all.
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

I understand the pain in the ass on the shaft. I pulled my shaft to replace my shaft log. fortunately, I am not very big around. I can fit in the hatch behind the coupler which makes for an easier engine alignment, but I have to lay on the floor, and reach in the hatch to unbolt everything.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Kross,

Youre saying you open up the sole once or twice a year. After each such exercise do you reseal it with new silicone? After removing the old one?
kross1

Post by kross1 »

When I sealed the deck, I use quarter inch round Styrofoam, and then taped everything off, and a very thin layer of silicone was used. Now mind you, this is still in the thought process. :-D
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Some other considerations:

The aft part of the deck is concave. Therefore, it is from very difficult to impossible to hinge it with a piano hinge. I tend to believe that hinging with individual heavy duty hinges is equally very difficult.

The forward side is straight and easier, if one can overcome the weight issue as well as WHERE to stand while lifting the deck from the opposite aft side. Perhaps one could remove the rear hatches and stand inside the opening of the middle aft one to be able to have a hand in lifting, albeit if they have adequate strength and after they removed everything from the deck.
Even so, then this huge surface standing open at an angle will be blocking all access to the motor boxes and the rest of the boat so that each and everytime one needs to switch sides it will be like working in a circus. In other words not impossible to hinge but very impractical to operate.

Lastly, hinging on the sides of the deck is perhaps doable if the rising deck clears the aft gunnel corner. Even if it does, the deck surface will then stumble on the concavity of the aft side and will only be partially open, rendering the whole exercise practical only for the side that opens, not the opposite side, as the angle might not be enough to squeeze a man and tools between the tank and the deck.

For the above reasons, and without considering splitting the deck into multiple parts, I said that it is from very difficult to impossible to hinge the 28 deck.

Of course nothing is really impossible in life but in this case the effort to achieve a hinged deck surpasses all potential benefits.