ZF 220A Transmission

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

ZF 220A Transmission

Post by Tony Meola »

Just a service warning to those of us with the 220A Transmission. Mine jammed in gear and I had to hit the linkage with a hammer to get it in neutral.

Stopped by the Diesel shop and they told me that these transmissions, especially on the 31 due to water that can drip on them if you don't have the dam at the edge of the deck, have a tendency to do that. They said there is a roll pin that moves on spring in and out of the indent on the linkage. It has a tendency to rust and or gunk up.

They told me that they replace the roll pin with stainless steel one when they run into this issue and that every couple of years it should be cleaned and well-greased.

Mine went 14 years without an issue but as we all know, they tend to create a problem at the worst time. So, if you haven't checked yours in a while, I would take the linkage apart and clean everything up and grease it well.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Re: ZF 220A Transmission

Post by Carl »

Thanks for sharing Tony.
I hope you didn't find the issue while maneuvering in tight quarters. I have the 63A, but will keep an eye on it as well.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

I appreciate the heads up. I have the 220A but with electronic controls. I do give them a coating of ACF 50 periodically.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl wrote: Jul 17th, '24, 06:34 Thanks for sharing Tony.
I hope you didn't find the issue while maneuvering in tight quarters. I have the 63A, but will keep an eye on it as well.
Carl

I was just coming out from under a bridge, and the guy in front of me decided to stop to show his guest the sites. I had to shift into reverse, when I went to speed up it felt like I was dragging something, and I was pushing black smoke. Even though the shifter moved into forward the Port engine was still in reverse.

Luckily, I had room to maneuver at that point.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yikes!

That makes for a pucker butt situation...I love it when people just stop in the middle of a channel, road, highway to smell the roses, just cause they want to.

Glad you were paying attention and had your thinking cap on to avoid what could have been a bad day.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

I have the 63 A too.
What is this thing we’re looking for and where shall I bang with the hammer???

Could someone take a pic with a finger pointing to it?
Some of us are NOT mechanics!!! LOL
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis...don't worry, we have the good transmissions.

It is the Lever on transmission where the Shift Cable connects to. The lever that rotates to give Forward, Neutral and Reverse. I'd consider just disconnecting the terminal end from the lever every few years to verify the Lever Rotates freely before having to resort to a hammer. But drastic times call for drastic measures and hammers can be very good in those times.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Carl, Ill look into that tomorrow.
I have to move the dinghy, the flippers, the towels…too much for me now right after dinner…
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
S Ritzert

Post by S Ritzert »

I had almost the same thing happen. I was coming into the marina, and had the port side stick in gear. At first I thought it was the controller, or cable. I actually bent the controller where the cable bolts to it trying to force it into neutral. Fortunately, I was not on plane or anything, and I realized the situation before I got to close to the dock, so I shut the one engine down, and managed to maneuver a safe distance on the other engine. I crawled into the motor box, and disconnected the cable from the gear box, to flip it back in neutral, and realized it was the shifter on the gear box that was stuck, and not the cable or controller.

As you said, the shifter on the gear box faces up, and water tends to sit in the little void, and rust everything up. I coated mine in motor oil, and managed to break it free just to get me to the dock. I did some research on this, and they say to keep those things covered in grease to help with corrosion, or convert to electric solenoids.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

As an fyi, Sea Board Marine sells the parts if you want to do the repair on your own.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315