Cabin windows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Cabin windows

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Has anyone had luck replacing the original front window hardware with a gas assisted shock?

1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
SteveM

Re: Cabin windows

Post by SteveM »

Dude, you're gettin fancy!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So I didn’t do AC or. Generator. We open the windows all the time and I run with them open fairly often. But there is certainly conditions they need to be closed.

My wife and kids have never been super comfortable opening them and getting them secure in the notches so that they stay in place. So I tend to have to stop the boat and go down to open and close them.

So the idea would be to add a handle to the bottom center, with gas assisted shocks so it’s simple for someone that doesn’t need a lesson. If it stopped halfway too that would be a bonus.
pschauss

Post by pschauss »

I'm not sure that I was trust a set of gas struts to hold the front windows open when the boat starts to pound. I have trouble with the standard brackets with notches.
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Peter. Mine are lexan so it’s pretty light. Haven’t had a problem since we switched out the glass, which was heavy
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I would propose something like “Alexa open the windows” instead. Not that much tested yet but could be promising !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Closed loop stepper motor driving a leadscrew. Servo motors for a few more bucks. Open, close or any position in between. Wire a rain sensor to close windows automatically should rain or spray come your way.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Our boat will be 49 years old in August. Those windows haven't been opened in 48 years. Always got spray through them and they always leaked. I sealed them shut with silicone.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Peter, I use my windows all the time too. Mine are heavy.
I would think gas shocks may be difficult to close; someone may have to go out on deck to push them closed.

I'd put this in the category of "I've go way more stuff to do than figure this out". :-D
Steve Marinak
Carl

Post by Carl »

SteveM wrote: Jul 7th, '24, 17:19
I would think gas shocks may be difficult to close; someone may have to go out on deck to push them closed.
They come in many different extension and compression forces from a few pounds to a couple hundred pounds.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

SteveM wrote: Jul 7th, '24, 17:19 Peter, I use my windows all the time too. Mine are heavy.

I'd put this in the category of "I've go way more stuff to do than figure this out". :-D
My list is pretty manageable at this point, it no longer requires an external hard drive. I actually have everything organized in my iPhone note pad. What I can do, what has to be farmed out etc and an order. My starboard window frame is bent and I’d like to add the nice bigger aft facing windows.

Squaring away all the windows and getting them “good as new” or better is the real key before I really start the cosmetics both interior and exterior.

I think I have to hire Carl as my gas assisted shock consultant he really seems to understand it a lot better than me.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I don’t think they’ll stay up when the boat is underway
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Im following this and other discussions about windows and how they could stay open or hatches stay ajar while underway.
Here we don't leave port without securing windows and hatches shut tight. Doors too.
Different seas, different manners…
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

For what it’s worth I almost always run with the windows wide open in conditions that I don’t think I’m going to take water or a lot of spray over the bow. Again, lexan windows with the original hardware.

It’s to warm in the cabin not too during the summer. And while the original hardware holds well it requires holding the window open while loosening one side then swapping hands holding it open to loosen the other side. Lowering the window and tightening both up. Not an easy process if you are doing a few drifts and then running a mile or two.

My typical day requires running a few miles in open water, followed by 15-20 minutes in a no wake zone before another few mile run. If we are going out the inlet and it’s not insanely calm we will stop and close the windows.

This requires me to loosen the knobs just enough to open the window, another full turn and the knob falls off someone is looking for the washer. If that goes well. The wing nuts need to be folded up so the window can close that last inch and be secured shut.

It’s enough of a process that’s it’s just easier for me to stop the boat and go down there to do it.

With that over explanation it would be worth it to me to have electric actuators so I can simply open and close them from the bridge. Although the simplicity of gas assisted with a simple handle to lock shut is more my vibe.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I understand. I changed the black vinyl knobs with SS ones but their built-in screw was thicker, so I used a drill and widened the alley on the female part… I saved me this one more turn and you're looking for the washer part!

Here we don't have no wake zones and even in dead calm you still need to have the windows shut tight because there are a lot of unexpected ferry wakes, the gigantic ones, and if you're not too cautious you receive a free shower and a lot of broken bottles and stuff…
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Peter, you've got me thinking about your solution. I found this on the WWW, https://activwall.com/products/gas-strut-windows/
The video lets you imagine our front windows in action. They note that everyone asks how you close it. They say from the outside, or they sell you a pull hook. Which sounds like a stick with a hook on the end that you would grab the centered handle and pull it in. Simple enough. There's also a number of videos on YouTube that will show you how to calculate the strength of the gas strut for the size and weight of window or hatch.
Steve Marinak
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

SteveM wrote: Jul 11th, '24, 09:32 Peter, you've got me thinking about your solution. I found this on the WWW, https://activwall.com/products/gas-strut-windows/
The video lets you imagine our front windows in action. They note that everyone asks how you close it. They say from the outside, or they sell you a pull hook. Which sounds like a stick with a hook on the end that you would grab the centered handle and pull it in. Simple enough. There's also a number of videos on YouTube that will show you how to calculate the strength of the gas strut for the size and weight of window or hatch.
That is exactly what I envision. Have to start looking into those details to calculate length and weight. Boat outfitters has a large selection and as far as I understand a pretty good sales and service department. I am going to give them a call tomorrow.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think if you are going gas assisted the need remains to use the hardware to lock in place. It’s a lot of surface area to be blowing and bouncing around in a boat.

Another option would be torsion springs mounted at top hinge. A pair in LH and RH wind, one leg goes to the stationary outer frame, the other leg to the opening window mounted to a fulcrum at the hinge. Similar to the counter balance springs on a trucks delivery lift gate.

Or maybe old school window jack screw

https://imgur.com/a/evuMBd4
Raybo Marine NY

12v actuators make more sense. this way they not only hold them open but also keep them shut

I agree everything should be closed up when underway but not everyone likes to sit in a closed up cabin. I think gas struts will end up failing quickly if you ran the boat with them open
lobo

Post by lobo »

peter , who did the frame ? Looks awesome
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

lobo wrote: Jul 13th, '24, 14:03 peter , who did the frame ? Looks awesome
Those are the original frames, I’ve been cleaning them fairly often and they have started to look better over the years.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: Jul 13th, '24, 11:09 12v actuators make more sense. this way they not only hold them open but also keep them shut

I agree everything should be closed up when underway but not everyone likes to sit in a closed up cabin. I think gas struts will end up failing quickly if you ran the boat with them open
I agree, if I can figure that out it would be ideal. They way they are now I don’t have problems running with them open. Given it’s a situation we aren’t going to soak the cabin. Even when they were glass I never had a problem of them slamming closed. Except for user error when they weren’t tightened down.
Raybo Marine NY

Pete a lot of boats have 12v vent windows, radar arches, even RVs. getting the parts wouldn’t be that bad and since the windows are already plastic even if you had to drill them wouldn’t be a big deal. Wires could be run behind the cabinets.
Getting them to function properly may be the issue, I’m not sure how the throw gets determined on them, maybe a screw adjustment or determined by just the Stroke.

A linear actuator for an rv application is probably the same cost as a single stainless steel hydraulic lift piston
Carl

Post by Carl »

RV Style

https://www.firgelliauto.com/pages/abou ... calculator

If not pushing and holding from center of frame it may be of benefit to utilize a pair per window to reduce chance of racking, n swinging in the wind as can happen with single unit mounted to one side.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Perhaps if you took a look at this system, you could figure out how to adapt it to the windows.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/gear/gear- ... 7030534I9F
1975 FBC BERG1467-315