Thanks Charley Haws

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Thanks Charley Haws

Post by John F. »

Got back from the Mid-Atlantic a little while ago Nice ride back, although it looked like the NY guys going north were gonna' have it rough. Anyway, big thanks to Charley for all this...it was a great time. Nice to see Harv, Sy, Dick, Doc, Charley, Tom, Sean w/a 33, John D., and the Georges that fed us Friday night, as well as everybody else that was there. We even got to see JK and SeaNile on the way home. Thanks to Doug for taking me up, and Crows Nest for getting Captain Doug and crew back safely.

Main thing is a big thanks to Charley for putting the AC thing together...once again, it was great.

John F.
Mack

Post by Mack »

Charlie-
Many thanks for organizing the event for the 4th(?) time now- I have lost track. Wish that we could have stuck around longer. Better planning for me next year.
John Jackson

Thanks Charlie!

Post by John Jackson »

Thanks from me too! It was great to meet some of the other Bertram owners and to relax and enjoy the great company. It is great that someone like Charlie steps up and puts it all together and puts up with all of the headaches so the rest of us can have fun. My guess is that we all greatly underestimate how much work goes into putting this type of event together.

The ride home was a beatin' however. Those who went north on the inside made the right choice. I wish I followed Charlie after a couple of hours of hammering at 14kts...
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Yes thanks very much Charlie ! A great time was had by all in our group.
Anyone heard from Capt's Dick and Harv ? They were planning on going straight across from A/C to LI and after following RumRunner (B38) out of the inlet and seeing the sheets of spray reaching the the top of that massive tower on her as Tom made the turn North I felt for those two in the bahia mar. We surfed down to Cape May on some stuff that would have been brutal as a head sea. Hope all had an uneventfull trip.

JohnF.
Anytime. Had a great time. Glad you could make it. I think you were right- that probably was the most uneventful/most enjoyable trip we have taken together over the years. Glad we found Jk for lunch yesterday. Ac on the boat didn't work when I plugged in @ home. Must be a ground issue with how the pier is wired-now I know.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Thanks Charlie, you and Pat are a class act!!!

It was good to see everyone again and meet some new folks as well. I can't say enough good about eveyone.

I'm already looking forward to next year !!!

br,
JohnD
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The trip both ways from and to New York was bad. Thank God the stay was great. Thanks to everybody. Charlie out did himself again.

It was BERTRAM weather all over again and the boat lived up to it's rep. Took water over the stbd side aft at one time and because of the boats' attitude, the water stayed against the transome and out the scuppers. This was on the way south.
On the way north, Capt Harv was quoted as stating, "Well, that's the first 10 footer". We didn't get any more after that. But it looked like 14 ft to me.
I blew the gas account on this trip ... spent $1100.US Don't cry for me 'cause you can sent donations to "The Friends of El Gaupo" via this website.

Thank You, Capt Patrick!
A/K/A El Gaupo
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

LOL. Glad you two made it ok.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
Harv

Post by Harv »

We made it alright. Took a beating for 4 hours until Mannesquan, then the seas began to flatten out. At that point, El Guapo pointed the bow for Long Island. The further north we ran the flatter it got, until about 20 miles out when it became smooth as glass. Only problem was El Guapo mistook the Jones Beach tower (The needle as we call it) for the Fire Island tower...they look similar. As a matter of fact, it was calmer before we got into the Great South Bay, which was being churned up by the multitude of boats and ferries cruising around.

Charlie,

Once again...you da man!!! What else can I say? There aren't enough words to thank you for putting together another great Mid Atlantic. Just 362 days to go before we do it again.

George,

I need that london broil marinade!!

Gary,

Thanks for the ride in your little piece of history. It made for memories that will last a long time and a smile on my dad's face that may never go away.

Last but not least......to Capt. Patrick,
Thank you, "you ole fart", for bringing all of us together.
Without you and this sandbox, we would all just be boat owners.
Instead, we are the proud, the few, the FAITHFUL!!!
Harv