Etiquette for tipping the crew

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JPRS51

Etiquette for tipping the crew

Post by JPRS51 »

I am going fishing in Hawaii in a couple weeks on a 4 pack charter. Cost is $180 per person. What is an appropriate amount ot tip, and to whom should the tip go? I assume they will have a captain and 1-2 deck hands on board.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I will get to post pics of the catch!
Jeff S

Harv

Post by Harv »

Tips usually get paid to the mates, but you can also tip the captain if you feel he deserves one as well. Check and see if the boat you are using has a website. Generally, the website will advise what percentage of the trip cost to pay as a tip. I usually request 15-20% of the total trip as a tip for the mate. Most other charter websites seem to request the same amount as a guide for tipping the crew. This however is in my area and not necessarily universal and is only for one mate.
In most cases, the crew will go out of their way to ensure a pleasant, enjoyable, productive experience since they usually make their pay on tips alone. Remember, this is just a guideline and to use your own judgement to decide whether they went the extra mile to ensure a good experience.
Harv
Brianb

Tips

Post by Brianb »

On our boats the tips go to the captain and get split out evenly. If everyone tipped 15-20% if service warranted, they would be thrilled.

Brian