need Bruce's advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

need Bruce's advice

Post by JohnCranston »

Bruce,
I bought a pair of Yanmar lp 315's with ZF 2:1 gears with 1200 hrs out of Orlando. RTO's out of a 32 Rampage. I looked at Yanmarsettlement.com and found out that the serial numbers fall within the covered engines. How will this effect me since I'm not the original owner? I'm still confused after reading that web site. Any info would be a great help. Do I need to take any preventative actions before something goes wrong?

Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Not all engines in that range will have a problem.

Coverage is for repairs or failures. Don't know if you pulled a running survey or if the tell tale sign of valve tapping is present.

The preventative repair can be done without head removal by an experienced 6LP tech.
Then you won't have to worry at all.

It involves replacing the exhaust valve oil seals with the later version and cleaning the carbon of the stems and guides.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bruce,

Will Yanmar cover this repair under the extended warranty? What's the best way to research prior repairs or any other info on these engines: All I have is the serial Numbers 52099 and 52199. I bought them from a 3rd party who didn't have any records or maintenance info on them.

Thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

John,
As part of the repair coverage you have to state that you know that all the proper maintenance and adjustment has been done. If you don't or can't prove it with a maintenance log they won't cover so they say.

They also won't cover any repairs if its done as a preventative measure. You have to either have a failure or have the conclusive signs of a failure if a repair is not done as in the valve tap sound when reducing the throttle off plane.

I did a check with Yanmar on the serial numbers and didn't come up with any warrantee repairs on either engine. But that may not tell the whole story.
Yanmar up untill a few years ago was real lax on registering the engines when sold. So if there was a repair and they weren't registered, there would be no way to trace any repairs done.

Now if you don't register the engines, no claims will be accepted.

Again if you had them running surveyed by a good LP tech, he would be able to tell certain things by looking at them, or should anyway.

If not, then doing the preventative repairs may be in line.
Also your at the time when the timing belts need to be changed. If you can't confirm it has been done, then you need to do it as failure to do this can lead to serious engine damage if they break.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sounds like it would be a lot easier and cheaper to have it done while they are out of the boat! Why did they take them out?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Bruce,
Thanks. I'll call you in a couple of days.

Rawleigh,

The Rampage owner moved up to 370 hp. The lp 315's were on the boat diesel board for 1 day before we struck a deal. Keep your fingers crossed for me on this one.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Sweet!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31