Bugs, now that’s another topic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Bugs, now that’s another topic

Post by Amberjack »

Return to an old thread. I think I’ve figured out my mosquito netting. The foredeck hatch has been in place for a few years and is working as intended. The images show the hatch partially raised. And the net will allow it to be fully raised.

The aft bulkhead sliders were driving me nuts. Anything that would stick looked slipshod and wound up peeling eventually. By accident I found a more rigid screen material, more like a welded nylon. It can be rolled but when released wants to lay out flat. Perfect for the two dimensional sliders. I used heavy double sided tape and cut it in lengthwise to get the 3/8” width needed. The screen was cut to a pattern ahead of time. First cut to square dimensions, then cut the corner radius using a pattern. The most tedious part was placing the double sided tape. Do it in sections and notch the corners so it lays flat.

Both parts of the sliders work. And I can sleep at night.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Carl

Re: Bugs, now that’s another topic

Post by Carl »

On my Express, the back canvas has windows with the center portion zippered to open leaving a screen.
My hatch, we used adhesive velcro around the inside and my wife sewed the other half to the screen. Just slap it in place and pull to remove it.

Luckily most places bugs are not an issue...but when they are it can make for a miserable experience.
Carl

Post by Carl »

On my Express, the back canvas has windows with the center portion zippered to open leaving a screen.
My hatch, we used adhesive velcro around the inside and my wife sewed the other half to the screen. Just slap it in place and pull to remove it.

Luckily most places bugs are not an issue...but when they are it can make for a miserable experience.

Nice idea on back window.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl wrote: Jul 21st, '22, 11:06
Carl, out here once you get north of the border they are blood thirsty. Probably used to dealing with bears and elk
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Doug,

I used to have the same front hatch pyramidical bug net. Worked well for years. It had lead beads sewn at the base so it stays in place with the wind.
Now I installed a permanent slider inside, whereby the net is wound on one side and a total dark blind on the other. You can increase the bug net to the detriment of the blind as you wish from 0% to 100%.
Bought it from a caravan/4x4 supplies store where items are half price compared to identical products destined for yachts.
I believe the caravan guys are poorer than yachtsmen so the caravan stores have to be much cheaper...you have to carefully measure the hatch opening to make sure that an existing dimension exists.

As for the sliders I had nets made professionally and installed them with the same velcro method as you. Only they are not bug nets per se, rather they are made of this bug like canvass that we frequently use as semi permanent covers on all the windows to protect from the sun, they look like a bug net but are made from a thicker sturdier material where you can put rivets all around for installation on the front big windows. I have them installed permanently, but now after many years I have to remove them and change the velcro as the glue has gone dry and has lifted in places.

Mosquitoes, the sailor’s permanent pain in the @@ss.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"