Engine rotation

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gplume

Engine rotation

Post by gplume »

This is probably a stupid question.....but what the heck

What is the rotation direction for port and starbaord engines? Have had my raw water pumps out for a while, and don't want to guess on installing the impellers. Yes, could kick em over and watch...but I would ; like to get everything hooked up in advance.
Giff
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Looking from the rear to the front, the starboard engine will turn clockwise and the port will be counter clockwise. I am taking it you have a counter rotating engine and not reversing direction with the transmission.

ScottD
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Scott is right. On my 440's the port engine turns counterclockwise view from the rear, and the starboard one turns clospckwise. I think around the 80's they all went to clockwise rotation and made the direction change in the trans. What kind of engines do you have?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i belive even if you put the impellers in the wrong way they will find the right direction on there on after the engine is turned over
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Your right about that Charlie, I've done that one. I guess it is better to roll it in right when installing though. The mistake you don't want to make is swapping the inlet with the outlet, not as hard as it sounds on a reverse rotation motor, I've done that one too!

ScottD
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

They will flip over the right way on the first or second rev every time, don't worry about installing them "in the correct direction". Use Pam or Dawn as a lube unless you are using the Tony Athens aftermarket ones, they can take oil, so use CX on them. And put some Tef Gel on the shaft. A little care now vs. a pain in the butt later.

Too hot here in coonassland to do anything but hang out by the a/c. 97 and the heat index is 112........time for a clear.

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hey UV,

Going down to Faux Paz @ Venice Marina the end of July, anybody headed down to go fishing.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. Have Cummins 504's. What clued me in on the rotation was that the pumps were hooked up oppositely. Orginally I thought the rotation direction was handled by the transmissions, as my parents boat has virtually the same transmissions, with both enginges rotation the same and rotation direction handled by the tranny (coincidently manufactured in the late 80's vs early 70's for mine). Trannys are borg warner.

Lighting them off this weekend for the first time in nearly 3 years!
Giff
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Giff
I think that output shaft of all of the 71 and 72 Series Velvet drives rotates the same as engine rotation EXCEPT for the 1.98:1 gear.

I am not aware if other Velvet drives change rotation.......

Harry Babb
hb