AC with no generator

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

AC with no generator

Post by Carl »

A friend at the Club just took possession of a new Ranger Tug. Lots of stuff in that lil-27' boat. One item struck me was the boats reverse cycle AC. The unit can run on shore power BUT IS setup from factory to run off 4 Lithium Batteries (in a dedicated compartment outside), plus a Factory Solar Panel. He said the batteries can run the AC for a couple days...I find that difficult to believe full out in extremes but sounds like much more than overnight, especially for a pretty big cabin, larger than our 31s I'd say.

The boat is set up to charge the standard Batteries and Lithium via Shorepower, Motor and Solar in various combinations.

2mpg at 30mph...not my kind of boat, but impressive.

I have not forgotten what was learned about Lithium hazards, but this is what it is and just passing the info on.

https://www.rangertugs.com/models/model-category/r-27/
Carl

Re: AC with no generator

Post by Carl »

Carl wrote: May 31st, '22, 09:12 A friend at the Club just took possession of a new Ranger Tug. Lots of stuff in that lil-27' boat. One item struck me was the boats reverse cycle AC. The unit can run on shore power BUT IS setup from factory to run off 4 Lithium Batteries (in a dedicated compartment outside), plus a Factory Solar Panel. He said the batteries can run the AC for a couple days...I find that difficult to believe full out in extremes but sounds like much more than overnight, especially for a pretty big cabin, larger than our 31s I'd say.

The boat is set up to charge the standard Batteries and Lithium via Shorepower, Motor and Solar in various combinations.

I have not forgotten what was learned about Lithium hazards, but this is what it is and just passing the info on from a prior post.

Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Carl,

I've explored the hazards of lithium but I've decided to install them in my boat and forego the generator. I'm also looking at one of the DC air conditioners. I'm so focused on the structural work now that I haven't thought too much about the electrical design but will post more when I get to that project in a month or so.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

These little suckers are supposed to be trawlers and cruise at 7-8 knots.
They could go up to 30, but because they are shallow vee hulls they should be unstable and are not designed for speeds like that.
As for the lithium batteries, apparently there are two types, one that befriends fire and one that doesn't...something with ferrous oxide or similar.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis- These Ranger "Tugs" are Tugs in name only and top out at 40mph, but are designed to be most efficient at a 30mph cruise. They are not rounded bottom displacement boats, nor extremely shallow V's. Granted they are no Deep Vee Bertram, but they are not supposed to be.

I really never looked at these boats before...in truth not really looking now it just showed up on my radar. Anyway I believe, I guess, I really don't know, but maybe assume from they started with a slow trawler design and evolved. The older ones had single small, inboard diesel I was told. But now 300HP outboard on a 27'...it's meant to go.

Rick- I was posting this for you to show it can, and it has been done.

As to the how...a call of interest to the builder/dealer may provide some insight into how they handled the system.

The hazards...It is a factor to be weighed, thought about and perhaps designed with that in mind. Heatproof/ fireproof battery box...if such a thing.

Me...I like to focus on one thing, but always seem to be laying the groundwork for the next step in the back of my mind.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Carl wrote: May 31st, '22, 09:12

Carl, I berthed next to a Ranger 27 last summer and like you think they have a lot to offer in a somewhat different format. Maybe in my later years......wait a minute, these are my later years! Anyway back on topic Amberjack gets 1.67 mpg at 30 knots, not too far off 2 mpg, and its a lot more substantial boat.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Carl,

Thanks. Keep the ideas coming. This forum has been a huge help in my 31 project. I've burned through 30 gallons of epoxy and just bought 20 more gallons.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Carl

Post by Carl »

Amberjack wrote: Jun 1st, '22, 12:53 Carl, I berthed next to a Ranger 27 last summer and like you think they have a lot to offer in a somewhat different format. Maybe in my later years......wait a minute, these are my later years! Anyway back on topic Amberjack gets 1.67 mpg at 30 knots, not too far off 2 mpg, and its a lot more substantial boat.

Doug,

You are cruising faster at 30 knots in a larger, better sea boat, with twin diesel motors, definitely more substantial !

My only point was the Ranger is a quick boat that doesn't break the bank cruising...that is after you buy it at a quarter million.

I enjoyed my visit to his boat wife my wife. Looking at all the amenities, toys, seating options, tables, windows, opening roof panels for fresh air, seeing the AC, nice swim platform to board, stove, microwave, v-berth, all with that new boat smell and gleam...I was happy for him and his wife.
Leaving their boat, heading back to ours my wife said she liked our old non-shiny, with few to no options better. I think mostly as we love our boat as it has a huge open cockpit to be out and enjoy being out...with some covering to get out of the elements, sleep, a head, and some storage room. We didn't even know the cost at that point.
I guess I'm biased...no, I know I am. It's a real nice boat they have...just not for us.

Rick- that is a crazy amount of epoxy! 30 gallons...damn! The work looks impressive, we surely do have lots of talent on this forum, Captain Patrick would be proud!

I like all ideas for and against. Get all that info up in the noggin, let it bounce around n sort itself out in the background for a while.
Rick Jester

Post by Rick Jester »

I have no affiliation or knowledge but I did look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF113aU ... jrimo18tq7

https://marinedcac.com/
Rick Jester
1966 25 Express Cruiser
Hull 978
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rick,

Interesting.

However, I still think this unit is too small for real comfort, plus, our boats do not have the real estate for 700w solar panels, unfortunately.
If you need 100amp hours for this thing to run overnight, then you also need at least two or three normal 100amp lead acid batteries dedicated to it. Thats another real estate puzzle.
Anyway, its good to see people experiment on battery run AC, one day they may come up with the right stuff.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Anyone that’s interested, these catamaran sailors live pretty much off the grid most of the time.

They have lots of videos on their slow start AC system and their battery bank and solar power recharging.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG5Y ... bD-fLqYBia
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939