The Repowering fun continues..

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnD

The Repowering fun continues..

Post by JohnD »

Ahh, the fun continues, here’s an update. (got kind of long winded, sorry)

I started de-greasing the engine room and under the cockpit floor on the 4th and finished Saturday & Sunday. I used the cleaner put out by POR15 and that stuff is great (I don't remember who reccomended it but THANKS!!). It mixes in a spray bottle and I used a couple of scrub brushes from the dollar store and spot cleaned everywhere. One of the brushes I picked up had brass bristles in the center and it turned out to be great at scrubbing the tough stuff. I’ve got to take some pictures the whole hull is now bright green fiberglass. I almost hate to paint it. But I know it will be easier to keep the paint clean than try to clean the bare fiberglass.

On the positive side, I started pulling the wiring harnesses from the old gas motors out and boy that’s a lot of wiring. It ran from both motors to the buss-bar panel (stb side of the cabin), then a harness from there to each the upper and lower helms for each motor. When the new motors go in it will be all harness from motor to bridge & no junction panels if I can help it. Also, rather than using the individual gauges I got with my motors, I’m checking into getting new CAT analog panels so everything’s just plug in and go.

The lower helm will remain as a throttle and steering only station, re-wiring and gauges to make it functional is extra work and $$ I don’t need to spend now. Eventually I’d like to put the throttles and wheel in the cockpit but that’s a project for another day.

I'm not sure if other B35 owners have had problems with the bulkhead between the engine room and the cockpit, but mine's completely rotted at the bottom where it attaches to the hull and the shaft goes through it. I was thinking I would just sand it down and then epoxy coat it and maybe fiberglass it. But as I cleaned the bilge the wood just flaked off with dark black rot. So it’s got to get replaced & I probably sub that out to the yard, I’m not that good at fiberglass and would rather focus my attention on other items. Besides here in Baltimore the summer heat wave has hit along with humidity it’s no time to be playing with fiberglass. So, When the bulkheads done I’ll be ready to begin fitting the motors.

Btw, has anyone re-shafted from 1-3/8 to 1-1/2 inch shafts have to replace the shaft log?? I measured mine and it’s 2 inches so I think I’m ok there.

As I looked into the cost to install a standard stuffing box for the 1-1/2 in shafts, I think I may go with the PSS dripless ones as they aren’t that much more per-side and they seem to be standing up to the test of time. I would have never changed over if it weren’t for the change in shaft size, the standard packing works and I like to check it regularly anyway.

Well, that’s about all for now. I’ve got a couple of more things to do this weekend then it’s Atlantic City Next week and I’m ready for a break. We got a room over on the boardwalk side. I really wanted to have the boat done in time, but as those who’ve done this know it takes longer and more $$ than you’d think.

br,
JohnD
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

At least have a start circuit go to the lower station. If you have bad weather and an engine stalls, going out onto the bridge to restart it is not wise.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

John: Glad that Marine Clean is working for you! I guess you found out that you don't want to breathe the mist when you spray it! I just painted the inside of my engine compartment with POR15 Hardnose White while I had the engine out. Boy does that brighten things up!! It does take two coats, but it goes on very well with a brush or roller and lays down great. It withstood the reinstallation with no scratces or nicks. Wear an Organic vapor respirator if you use it because it is loaded with isocyanates! You will be amazed how much bigger and brighter the engine room looks in white!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Bruce, Good thought on start/stop at the lower station.

Rawliegh, Thanks again for the tip on the cleaner & your right if I got a snoot of the mist, it wasn't pleasant.

I was planning on using brighsides pait. I used that under the cockpit when I replaced my rudder shelves and it's held up reasonably well. I'll check the POR15 paint as I was going to paint in between the initial fitting and final install.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Btw, has anyone re-shafted from 1-3/8 to 1-1/2 inch shafts have to replace the shaft log?? I measured mine and it’s 2 inches so I think I’m ok there.
I have 2" tube on mine and they are about 24" long with 1 1/2" shaft it is a little tight but works, everything has to be right on the money But that the way you want it anyway.
I like the Brightside but would go with a two part in the engine room you will happier later. Good luck it is a lot of work but you will be a happy Capt when done...
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page