Gelcoat Non-skid help

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MikeD@Lightningshack

Gelcoat Non-skid help

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Guys,

I finished gelcoating the bridge on Lightningshack. It looks terrific and the finish exceeded my expectations. A handful of sanding burn throughs mostly by the day laborers is the only thing I'm not happy about. These won't get fixed this season, as it's time to stop work and start use.

I still have to apply a non-skid coating to the helm area. I was going to attempt to roll this portion.

I have tried samples with sand and glass and just a roller on a piece of plywood in my back yard. I am not looking for perfection, but I am not convinced any of the methods I attempted are going to give me the surface I want.

Ideally I want a surface that I won't slip on, easy roll on application, and doesn't collect tons of grime and dirt.

Has anyone had luck rolling on non-skid gelcoat. Anything you can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
MikeD
www.lightningshack.com
miked@lightningshack.com
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Bump...I'd like to paint my bridge sole too.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I love my awlgrip nonskid!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I used the non skid additive that Home Depot sells. It's a synthetic. They do not use sand anymore. I rolled my on using Imron. The Awlgrip Catalyst was used using Imron's mix ratio . I tested it first on samples in the garage. Mixing it in with the paint after I edged it with blue tape on the edges. It rolled on well using a good plastic backing roller for stains and polyurethanes. As far as grabbing the dirt is concerned it will just happen. Nothing short of Woody Wax will prevent it. I never used the product but I know several on the board that have. Simple physics here. rough surface will hold more dirt. But it beats falling on your but or having a big lawsuit from someone else that takes a fall. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dave: Try soft Scrub with bleach or Marine Clean on it!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31