Decisions Decisions Decisions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

BlueChip

Decisions Decisions Decisions

Post by BlueChip »

I was hoping i could get some insight from everyone.

I KNOW i want a B31, but which model will best fit my needs.

My predicted usage:

Inshore fishing (Striped Bass, Fluke, and Blackfish) - 10-15 trips per year

Off Shore fishing - 3-5 trips per year (would love to do more but regretfully i know it will never happen)

Family Cruising (My wife and I and our Lab) - 2-3 1or2 night trips per year

Issues -- 1 main Issue --- 6'8" -- which has the most cabin space?

Whats the "official" head room in a B31 -- 5'10"???

FBC. Baja, or Express..... that is the question.........

Thanks for help in advance....

Chris
Restoring a 1973 Mako 20 . . B31 is next...when I find the cash

My Dad's 1966 B20 that i am working on .. (pre-BootStripe)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Model would be a toss up between Express and the highly desirable FBC. Both have same cabin, largest of the 31's.

FBC you have more open cockpit and the higher vantage point of bridge is a big plus, especially in sloppy seas where you can't see debris in the waves troughs at speed.

Express you don't have to climb up and down the ladder to adjust helm when trolling short handed. You can be with your crew, family friends on long rides where bridge is tight and not condusive to more then one person. Bad weather you can be out of the elements and open her up on nice days.

The biggest complaint I had with my Express, cruising around NYC we have lots of debris in water and no matter how hard you look, you cannot see lots of it from the helm at speed until its too late. For this reason alone I added a short tower and anything more then a 2' sea you will usually find me up there when traveling. Another issue would be when closed up, front windows closed and canvas up around the side, the engines are a bit loud as you are right on top of them.

Hope it helps,
Carl
scot

Post by scot »

Having never been on a Bahia Mar I was under the impression they have a true stand-up head? Is it so?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

this is true
BlueChip

Post by BlueChip »

Thanks for all the input so far Guys. I really appreciate it. I figure if i go in to the convo with my wife (well wife in < 2 months) with all the information it will be easier to get her to "on board" the plan to get a B31.

Chris
Restoring a 1973 Mako 20 . . B31 is next...when I find the cash

My Dad's 1966 B20 that i am working on .. (pre-BootStripe)
neil

Post by neil »

Give us a call there is a Express right around the corner from us 732-899-8492 neil
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

For what its worth I am 6'6 and only occassionally tag my head on Crows Nest (FBC). The spot where it happens is always going forward into the vberth while tied to the dock. Oddly enough when offshore I manage to duck low enough. It is possible to drop the cabin floor several inches- have seen several boats like that. Mine is bone stock. The v-berth companionway is the same on all models (its not a forehead shot either-dead middle top of your head-ouch,hurts just thinking about it).

For the short money/deal I would pursue the deal JP mentioned in NJ. Cummins are an ideal repower engine for these boats. It sounds like a great project boat. Boats in good condition with diesels seem to currently be worth a minimum of 80k with nice examples going for well over 100k.

If you like the express model- Pete Fallon who occasionally pops up here has one in good condition in Fla that he is "dumping" for mid thirty's. Pete's knees don't allow him to use the boat anymore. Oh yeah, he's a yacht surveyor from Mass.

If you get the guy here in Annapolis on the phone I'll go look at the boat for you.
Best of luck on your search. I spent over a year buying the boat I wanted.
Look at as many thirty ones as possible-I probably looked @ 20. Going to the two upcoming rendezvous would be a smart way to get edumacated.

Scratch all that if Steve Millers boat Storm Petral on Block Island can still be had with the 4cyl Yannys jump on that.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.