Soundown Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Soundown Question

Post by JohnV8r »

Hey Guys,

Contract is inked on the new diesel engines. I’ve ordered all the thru hulls, seacocks and external strainers. Murray Ventilation dorade boxes have been ordered. Trying to get Soundown ordered this week. I have a couple of Soundown questions after looking through all the photos I could find on the website.

1. The majority of the photos I could find do NOT show Soundown installed on the hull-side in the motor boxes. One set of photos does. Is the prevailing thought that hull side Soundown is not needed? I will not be installing a generator and will have 46” x 5” of dorade box.

2. Is there a significant benefit putting 2” Soundown on the forward bulkhead if I can only fit 1.5” on the motor boxes? For efficiency sake, I’d rather use 1.5” all the way around even though 2” would fit on the front bulkhead.

3. Any rule/recommendation on pins per square foot on the installation?

Any feedback/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
cariedl

Re: Soundown Question

Post by cariedl »

Congrats on the new diesel power. I had all new 2" sound down installed when I had the cockpit and motor boxes redone last winter. Coming from the old boxes on my Bahia that had 1/2 or maybe 3/4 sound insulation the 2" made a huge difference. When the boat was refit the sound down was back ordered so we took a few cruises without any sound insulation at all, the cockpit was basically screaming level loud to communicate andd forget hearing anyone who was sitting aft of the engine boxes. Sound down was installed on the boxes but not on the hull side and it quieted things down significantly, normal speaking voice, and I can hear back deck conversations from helm, granted this is a Bahia Mar model. I went with 2" because it provided the best balance between cost and sound deadening. It is an expensive product but worth every penny. I am going to have access hatch done this winter to try and quiet things down a little more. Good luck with the project.
JohnV8r

Re: Soundown Question

Post by JohnV8r »

That actually answered two of my big questions. I think I will put the 2" Soundown on the forward bulkhead. I can fit it there. It's the motor box where I might only be able to get 1.5" Soundown in. I was hoping to not have to do the hull side of the motor box. From the pictures I've seen and your feedback, I'm not sure that is necessary.

Thanks!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built