Bahia Mar Anchor Rode / Anchor locker question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DanielM

Bahia Mar Anchor Rode / Anchor locker question

Post by DanielM »

Gents,

John Cranston asked me to post a question for him.

John recently had a windlass installed on his B31 Bahia Mar and is looking at how much 5/16” chain and 5/8” 8-strand anchor line will fit in a standard(?) Bahia Mar anchor locker. I don’t know if there would be a difference between the Bahia Mar and the other configurations, but John’s is a Bahia Mar.

John is looking at 60’ of 5/16” galvanized chain and 600-700’ of 5/8” 8 strand anchor rope.

Anchoring is typically in about 150’ of water. Very little to no shallow water anchoring.

Does that sound like it would fit?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Danielm
Amberjack

Re: Bahia Mar Anchor Rode / Anchor locker question

Post by Amberjack »

Danny I have 90' 5/16" chain, 250' 5/8" three strand nylon line and 250' 1/2" three strand line. The pile comes to just above the opening of the chain locker door but doesn't lean against it. However, the 1/2" line is carefully coiled at the bottom of the locker to minimize space.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Danny the chain will eat up space. Cut does he need that much chain and he probably could get by with 1/2 inch rope to gain some extra space. I would say there is about 36 inches of height in the locker. I am sure a windless lays it in their better than I can, but 300 ft of 1/2 inch line that I lay in manually leaves me with about 24 inch height to the top of the locker.

I believe with a windless you need at least 12 inches of drop for the line to lay right.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll pass it on to John, he’ll appreciate the feedback.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Might be a little late to be useful to your friend but this is an image of my chain locker with about 500' of anchor line and 90' of chain. The pile barely comes to the level of the access hatch opening and the chain tamps down the line. The even coils of 9/16" line are uncanny but the windlass did that, not me.

Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Thanks Doug. A visual is always helpful.