Greetings/binacle question.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dpotter

Greetings/binacle question.

Post by dpotter »

Hi all🙋‍♂️

The Bertram 31 Flybridge is at the top of my wish list for my first upgrade since I saw one last year. I'm a little intimidated going from a single outboard to dual inboards and separate controls for throttle/trans. Can anyone explain the control setup on this bertram below? Is it single lever throttle/trans for each engine or is the idle controlled elsewhere?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/b ... 1-3822611/

Thanks,

Dan
Amberjack

Re: Greetings/binacle question.

Post by Amberjack »

Dan-To my untrained eye those are combined engine/throttle controls. Easy to learn and simple to use. I have separate engine and throttle controls, still easy to use once you understand them. You would have a lot more control of the boat than you had with your outboard.

Bertram 31’s have power&up engines with loads of torque and small rudders. As the PO told me 25 years ago when you get close to the dock put it in idle, leave the wheel alone and steer with the engines. It’s a piece of cake.

That’s a lot of money for a B31. I,d hate to be the guy who puts the first scratch on that cockpit deck.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
dpotter

Post by dpotter »

Thanks for the info. I imaged search for a while and found out these are referred to as 'palm beach style controls' and apparently a pretty popular upgrade. The dual controls setup to either side of the wheel seem more awkward than anything. My marina in Ocean City, MD gets a ton of boat traffic with the fishing tourneys, the PA Navy pontoon fleet and the charter captains aren't very patient. I hope to get ahold of one toward the end or beginning of the summer season so I can practice.

That particular bertram is a just a tad out of my price range :-D
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

dpotter wrote: Aug 29th, '21, 10:27 Hi all🙋‍♂️
I'm a little intimidated going from a single outboard to dual inboards and separate controls for throttle/trans. Can anyone explain the control setup on this bertram below? Is it single lever throttle/trans for each engine or is the idle controlled elsewhere?

Thanks,

Dan

You won't believe how easy it is, compared to a single outboard.

The single lever controls have two cables in them. The first few inches of throw in either direction push or pull the cable that is connected to the transmission shifter. There will be a detent there. Push or pull the lever to the first 'click' and you've shifted into gear. The rest of the travel is throttle.

I have mine set up in a similar fashion to what you see on this boat. When I'm backing down on a fish, or backing into the slip, I turn my back to the helm and steer with the throttles only, in the direction I'm facing. It's so simple that you'll never want to struggle with a single again......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315