help incurance co names for an orig 62 31 express

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob bertram

help incurance co names for an orig 62 31 express

Post by bob bertram »

hi trying to find an insurance co that will insure my 31express but no luck they all, about a half a dozen said no too old at this point i,ll take just liabibity ins. 500,000 can anyone help thanx. bob fioresi 31 express Frayyed Knot 631 965 3941 thank you
HotSpot

Re: help incurance co names for an orig 62 31 express

Post by HotSpot »

There was a very similar question just a few months back. Check out this link to the thread. Hopefully there are some good pointers in there.

http://bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14949
HotSpot - ‘61 25 Sport Convertible - Hull# 25-109
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Try Progressive
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Progressive now has an age limit on what they will insure. Unfortunately I just went through this with them.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Boat US. They use Gieco but insure mine.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ccroke13

Post by ccroke13 »

Just renewed my insurance on my 1970 Bahia. It was with Markle.
Chris C.
Boston, MA
1970 31 Bahia Mar
1977 28 FBC
Sheer Folly

Post by Sheer Folly »

Last year my insurance company dropped all boat insurance. I had a tough time finding a insurance company that would cover a 1988 Bertram33 FBC for less than double what my old policy cost for the same coverage and all required a survey, which was a problem as the boat was shrink rapped in the water for the winter.

I ended up calling Allstate who I have my house and cars insured with. They covered my boat without a survey and for the same coverage at lesser cost than my previous insurer.

I would give them a call.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

I was trying to get insurance quotes a few weeks ago for boat coverage in Florida and I had several brokers tell me the landscape is changing. I was told that BoatUS/Gieco has stopped writing new policies on any boat over 30’ and 40 years old, and that they stopped working with their agent network and were going to online sales only.

I don’t know the accuracy of that information but I found very few live people who would even talk to be about an older boat. The other thing that hurt me was that I was also listed as an absentee owner. Boat in Fl and I live in Tx. We’re over in Fl a fair amount, but if my DL address didn’t match were the boat lays that makes it tough as well.

Most of the agents I talked to directed me to just go online and check with Progressive… but I like talking to an agent with some knowledge. Especially for something out of the norm.

All I really cared about was liability. I found one agent in Ft Lauderdale that got me a quote on a 1975 30’ Chris Craft TSF. The liability was really affordable. $296/yr for 300k liability. Just for grins I had her run a 20k stated value coverage on the boat and that was $1509/yr… not worth it in my book.

Life is finally getting to the point where I might get to breathe life back into my CC30 and I was just looking at costs to get back into the game.

So it looks like it’s getting harder and harder to insure an older boat. Especially in Fl.

Bob, I believe the agent in Ft Lauderdale said she could write nationwide so if you want her number I’ll get it. But she was just quoting Progressive. I see Progressive mentioned above as having an age limit, but 2 weeks ago they quoted on a 1975…so who the heck knows…good luck.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Is it possible that an "umbrella" policy could be applied.

I don't think it can but maybe someone on here would know better. Umbrella are for liability but only after an existing policy is exhausted.

I am pretty sure an umbrella would cover liability over and beyond on an "existing" boat policy but not sure if you have no boat policy to begin with...
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET