Antenna mount location

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

pschauss

Antenna mount location

Post by pschauss »

The vhf antenna which came with my boat is mounted on the cabin roof next to the flying bridge as shown in the picture below. I'm thinking that this is too low and too close to people on the flying bridge. Given that I don't have a hard top over my flying bridge, what is my best option for mounting it higher? In the current location, I only have about a foot of slack in the cable so if I relocate the antenna I will, most likely, need to replace it with one which has a longer cable. Am I correct in understanding that adding a extension to the cable will degrade the signal?

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/307687/5082 ... um/1297870
Peter Schauss
Water-Lou
1978 B31 SF (BERG 1727M781-314)
Yannis

Re: Antenna mount location

Post by Yannis »

Peter,

Mine is in the same location only a bit higher on the side.
Not only it's too low, it is severely influenced by the metal bimini structure right next to it.
Actually, the bimini frame is worse than the positioning being too low.
I want to place it over and above the bimini structure, by clamping it to the highest possible position on the metal frame so it's over and above it.
Mine too has a degraded signal.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

You can purchase an antenna extension in almost any length from a foot to 10' or so. If the length starts getting wonky on you then opt for a support bracket a couple of feet up to hold the extension.

Leave the base where it is, screw extension on, as high up as you can add support from the bridge to your mast. Your antenna screws on top, cable runs inside.

VHF Extension Cable- I'd expect a slight loss of degradation of signal by adding an extension cable, which you'll make up in leaps and bounds by putting that signal out higher.

I believe I was told a VHF cable can be hard spliced with no loss to eliminate a mechanical coupling connection. Now whether I was told that and if the person knew what they were talking about is another story entirely. Many years ago... I'd get a backup to support that before tackling, but if true becomes an option.

https://www.anchorexpress.com/shakespea ... 20%2475.99

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... cordNum=16
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Mine is in the same place. I have an 8 ft antenna. Be careful with extending it too far. The higher you go the more stress you put on the base. Too high and you will need to secure it in some way to the Bimini.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315