Bought B31, transport

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gpl916

Bought B31, transport

Post by gpl916 »

Hi all,

I just bought my first B31 FBC yesterday in Falmouth, MA. her name is "Reel Obsession". I had a 26' Moppie a few years ago and loved that boat. The 31' was originally listed on this forum years ago when the current owner bought her. It seems like the boat has had excellent care over the years.

http://bertram31.com/listings/mamlock.htm

It was winterized (with all fresh fluids) and been inside a heated shop for the last 2-3 years, so I plan to go through the engines and replace all the fluids, filters, and zincs. In addition I will check the after coolers, impellers, and put in new starting batteries. Then bring up the oil pressure with the fuel pump dc'd before turning the engines over.

The engines are 6BTA's (M1) with 850 hours now.

I have some quotes to transport the boat out to Seattle that vary widely and I am wondering if anyone has had experiences with Shiplux? A guy named Terry Mixon has given me a quote that is the most competitive.He has given me a couple of references but they are from a delivery service, and another boat yard.

I would like to hear from actual clients if possible.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg
Tony Meola

Re: Bought B31, transport

Post by Tony Meola »

Greg

Can't help you with information on the transportation, but congratulations and good luck with her. She looks like she is in great shape.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
johnnyletrois

Post by johnnyletrois »

Beautiful boat. We bought a 26’ Moppie in 2015 from MA and had it shipped to Seattle by a guy named Sean Becker. The 31 might be too big for him, but he did a good job hauling our 26’ to Seattle.
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I dont have a recommendation on the transport but def try to use a person with good reviews or a recommendation. That is a long trip and the 31 is a big wide load for the interstate.

Very nice boat as well and I like those engines. They appear to be clean in those pics and the exhaust is done very nicely. Those engines have the tombstone intercoolers which do not require regular maintenance (which can be a good thing to some).

I am sure they will last for many years to come if they are propped correctly (which I am sure they are).
It appears "by the pics" to be setup as good as can be from a mechanical standpoint.

Good luck
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

If you can wait about 6 months, I'll drive the boat south through the canal and up the west coast for you.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Spinagain

Post by Spinagain »

I just acquired a B28 FBC and had it shipped from Boston to Toledo, OH. Mark Bechtel of Catawba Island Marine Transit did a nice job. I was impressed when he asked "does the boat have the arch" within the first minutes of our first call.

The 31 is a bigger boat but I think his rig can still handle it (?). If you haven't found anyone yet give him a call 419-262-6670. Good Luck-
Ed
1979 B28 FBC on Lake Erie (Toledo)
gpl916

Post by gpl916 »

Tony Meola wrote: Apr 26th, '21, 20:47 Greg

Can't help you with information on the transportation, but congratulations and good luck with her. She looks like she is in great shape.
Thanks!
gpl916

Post by gpl916 »

Ironworker wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 18:56 If you can wait about 6 months, I'll drive the boat south through the canal and up the west coast for you.
Ok but, you will have to pay for the fuel!
gpl916

Post by gpl916 »

scenarioL113 wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 18:12

Very nice boat as well and I like those engines. They appear to be clean in those pics and the exhaust is done very nicely. Those engines have the tombstone intercoolers which do not require regular maintenance (which can be a good thing to some).
I didn't realize they were different. I'll have to research that. They are the M1's.
g
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Yes, the 6BTA evolved over the years. Yours have the "Aftercooler" cooled by Antifreeze (coolant). Other 6BTA aftercoolers are cooled by Raw (seawater).

Seawater provides colder water to cool the charged air that enters the combustion chamber where as the Antifreeze cooled version that you have cools the air to basically operating temperature of the engine (kind of in theory).

The raw water cooled versions are capable of higher HP output.

More HP is good but comes at a cost....maintenance. The aftercoolers require maintenance and if not maintained can cause engine damage. Your Aftercoolers do not require maintenance. After-coolers are very expensive if need to be replaced.

Of course all parts of your engines should be monitored and inspected. ALL parts eventually wear out but your version of Aftercooler is pretty much maintneance-free
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
gpl916

Post by gpl916 »

Frank,
Are you a "Truckie"?
g
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

gpl916 wrote: Apr 30th, '21, 21:44 Ok but, you will have to pay for the fuel!
I will.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

Just spoke with a fella named Anthony, they transport boats around the country. He just finished loading a 30’ twin outboard boat catamaran on a lowboy trailer, at the boatyard where I am. Here’s their info. Page Boat Hauling. Graham Page. 7 Ronnie Drive, Manahawkin, N.J. (609)994-4595. Local and Long Distance. EarleyBird 😜