Transducer Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

nic

Transducer Advice

Post by nic »

Guys,

Need some advice on whether we can use a sounder transducer that mounts inside the hull. I have been told that we need a 600w to 1Kw transducer for the sort of fishing we want to do but due to restrictions of space and access I would prefer not to use a through hull transducer if at all possible.

Either that or we are going to have to look at a flush, or near flush an installation as possible. Love to hear what works well and the best placement for the transducer.

I can't get the search going is why I'm asking what must have been covered before. Much appreciated.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
thereheis

transducer

Post by thereheis »

i installed a 600 w inhull on my 31,i was going to use a 1kw but te size of the faring block was the size of the usss enterprise.so i went with the 600w,it's good to 1800 ',but if i had to do it again i would use the 1kw in a wet box in midship.was think of doing the flush mount but dang that alot of glassing to make the box,,,,,,,,,,,i have it hooked up to a garmin gsd21 sounderbox onto a garmin 3210 unit,so far it works great....

phil[/quote]
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Airmar 1kW in hull no problem great picture. We did this with the Northstar M121.
Also a 600w with the M121 thru hull with speed and temp and have a great picture.
Mounted inboard and forward of the shaft logs with a 21 degree angle.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

What ever you do, follow the directions carefully for a shoot thru the hull install.
90% of the owner done units I see, don't work well.
nic

Post by nic »

Thanks guys, we're going with an Airmar 600w cut into the hull, with a custom integral fibreglass "fairing block", part recessed so almost flush low down on the port side, forward of the shaft log between the engines.

I did not like the look of the plastic hi-performance fairing block that came in the box, too big, even though you cut it, and too plastic, so once again a bit more work but hopefully only doing it once.

Your set-up sounds ideal JP but we're going with one only so want the speed through water and temp readings as well as max chance at no problems rather than the 90% probability Bruce sees. Local prices are 30-60% higher than US on-line marine electrics, so one will do us for now.

Happy fourth of July to you all and thanks for a great site.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

My AirMar "in hull" (which shoots through the hull) works great. It came with a component (a round wet box) that adheres to the inside of the hull and is then filled with an oil product (linseed oil I think). It has an adjustment for the deadrise of the hull. We mounted ours under the deck just forward of the companionway into the cabin (just aft of the stock watertank). It reads great and eliminates parasitic drag.

Tommy
Harv

Post by Harv »

When Windstar was purchased she had a large transducer and fairing block mounted center on the keel between the transmissions. When my electronics were installed, I had the transducer mounted in the same location, without the fairing block. It is an Airmar 1000 watt unit, with a football shape...pointed at both ends. It marks flawlessly at all speeds. I also have a smaller unit mounted further forarward on the port side with an angled fairing block. You can see this one on the stripped portion of the hull next to the string holding the shrink wrap. It doesn't give me as good readings as the big unit, but does the job well enough. Below is a picture with the original unit installed. If requested, on Saturday, I can take a picture of the unit the way it is set up now.

Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Here's how it looks now.
Harv