Nmea2000 setup - need recommendations

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ktm_2000

Nmea2000 setup - need recommendations

Post by ktm_2000 »

Hi All,

I am planning out the interconnects from my electronics and motor and would like a review of what I am thinking of doing by someone who has setup nmea2000 connectivity.

Here's a rough drawing of the layout, VHF up high, 2 B&G 12" displays, Suzuki gauge (rebranded Navico) and motor. I have included the motor but have no idea if there is a nmea2000 cable coming out of it or if a cable goes from the motor's electronics box to the suzuki gauge and then you tap into your network from there.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YqkXvqH1jSFXPfXa7

I realize that I can not put radar or Fish finder info on both displays as I purchased the slightly lower end line which does not allow sharing. The idea was Radar/GPS on one display, Fishfinder / GPS/ other stuff on second display. if either unit failed, I could swap the cables behind the dash to put the transducer or radar on the hopefully still good unit.

I am looking to achieve:
1. Get AIS info from VHF displayed on displays
2. Share waypoints between screens to be able to make a waypoint on structure on Fishfinder and have it pop up on other display.
3. Display engine data on one of the displays

I was thinking of getting 2 of the following kits with the thought that the 2 2 port connectors could be joined and one of the ends could go to a device with the other end going to the power cable
https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-Pro ... th=1&psc=1

Would this work? Is there a more efficient way to do it?

Thanks in advance
CamB25

Re: Nmea2000 setup - need recommendations

Post by CamB25 »

A couple thoughts. If your Suzuki is like my Evinrude, it will have 2 networks, one private (engine), and one public (NMEA 2000). My engine provides the power for the NMEA public network, but that is just because it was handy in the harness. Engine data from the engine display is shared with other devices through the public NMEA 2000 network.

VHF is probably a NMEA 0183 interface rather than 2000, but the newer VHF's may have NMEA 2000 now. 0183 is like a serial port, rather than a multi-function network. Certain wires do certain things when connect in certain ways. I have the 0183 connection between my VHF and chart plotter (Garmin) to share GPS. My GPS antenna is NMEA 2000, so it is plug and play into the network and comes out the back of the chart plotter.

It's all confusing, and I'm no expert. Just make sure you have terminating plugs on the end of your NMEA backbone.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

If your Suzuki does not have a NMEA 2000 output you can add a fuel flow sensor reasonably.
I think you plan looks fine. Many newer stereos are NMEA 2000 and you may wish to add a drop for that.
My experience has been that there is no material difference between backbone and drop cables. I was also advised to have the power connection near the middle of the backbone to have consistent voltage. Your system may be short enough for this to not be a problem.
I put my network on its own breaker so I shut off the minimal draw. I just need to remember to turn it on before the VHF and GPSs.
Good Luck,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Check out this website

https://seabits.com/
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue