Bertram 31 Heaven - I went there!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Bertram 31 Heaven - I went there!

Post by Ironworker »

I visited there today! Its Carver Boatworks in Point Pleasant, NJ. I had the opportunity to meet some great people and see some fantastic B31s. I was met by our own Jim Earley (EarleyBird) and his lovely Bride. He took me to Carver Boat Yard to see his boat along with about 13 other B31s. I got to meet some wonderful B31 owners and some extremely knowledgeable folks that have worked on these boats for many many years. WOW, I'm overwhelmed with the ingenuity, creativity and the love these people have for Bertram 31's. If you need or want work done on a 31 this is the place to get it done, Heck any boat for that matter. If you are considering buying a 31 go there first! These guys are first class!

Additionally I got to learn more about the pedigree of my boat the Carolina Reaper Hull # 818. It was once based there, owned by the Matthews family and named the Pepper! What are the chances two owner later she gets name the Carolina Reaper!

Many thanks to Jim for introducing me to these guys. Someone in Lakewood should publish a book about all the innovations these guys and gals have developed over the years for their 31's.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Re: Bertram 31 Heaven - I went there!

Post by EarleyBird »

Thank you Rick for the kind words. It was Nancy and my pleasure to have you and Kendall fly up from South Carolina and visit “Bertram Heaven” and our home. As you said there are certainly several knowledgeable who I’m blessed to know who own and have work and fished on the best sport fishing vessel ever built.
I believe Carver Boat, Chris, particularly, has worked on, modified, repaired, and knows more about these 31’s than any man alive. He certainly made mine the Beauty she is.
In addition the Matthews family has spent more time fishing on there 31 (Pepper) now a 35 than any family on Earth. Their Father Dave, a true gentleman, was instrumental in my Dad and I purchasing ours. I also learned how to troll and catch my favorite fish the Tuna from them all. I’m sure Dave is looking down from Heaven smiling as I type this.
Good Luck Rick with the work and mods you do on Carolina Reaper, how ironic that you own the old Pepper, and that a Carolina Reaper is a pepper. And not to forget you Bang A Rang he was impressed with your rig too!
Nancy and I look forward to hooking up with you and Kendall again...to catch a couple fish and chat again. EarleyBird 🙏
neil

Post by neil »

Chris carver redid our Bahia mar years ago and what a job he did our boat is 56 yrs old and looks better than when it came out of the showroom
neil

Post by neil »

T

I grew up next to the pepper as a kid,great family,and great boat they have caught more fish than most ost will in a lifetime,we are thrilled know that she is around now go and catch fish
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

neil wrote: Apr 8th, '21, 14:59 T

I grew up next to the pepper as a kid,great family,and great boat they have caught more fish than most ost will in a lifetime,we are thrilled know that she is around now go and catch fish
Neil,

I'm working hard to get her out fishing. Another month and she'll be there!
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Actually after researching my documentation back to the birth of my boat her Hull # is #128.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue