PeterPalmieri

A look at Tropic Star

Post by PeterPalmieri »

[youtube] https://youtu.be/tKRclBcv_2k[/youtube]
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Re: A look at Tropic Star

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So maybe the one exception I make to glassing in the windshield is when the head is moved forward as they’ve done with the new remodels. Which is even better than how a couple of charter boats we’ve been on are done. And giving the windows a complete wrap around appearance is very classy.

With the short runs they do and lots of hours on the troll a couple of rear facing seats in the bridge are great.

I know the volvos have not been well received here in the past any idea if there is a new motor they’re using?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter- most of what I have heard and experienced about Vovlo marine...diesel, outdrives, gas and pods is they make great stuff. Pricey and over engineered may be a complaint. For new owners it's not an issue as it's covered and new tends to run well.

But as things get older, warranty runs out and parts are no longer in the shelf. Getting parts is not always quick or inexpensive.

Hopefully that is something they have addressed.

Over engineered- over complicated makes repairs more expensive and reliant on dedicated dealer parts.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Volvo parts and repair costs have always been the issue. I think that continues to be an issue.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Wow, a big change from when I was down there with Uncle Vic! Enclosed cabins and AC!!! None of the boats had rear bulkheads when I was there. It will be interesting to see the longevity of the Volvos'. In a remote location I would be more comfortable with the 4-71's even though they were VERY slow! Of course they are only going 7 -10 miles offshore.
Last edited by Rawleigh on Apr 7th, '21, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Maybe if they’re buying parts by the container it’s not an issue?
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

Pete

It is hard to beat Cummins for parts availability and pricing. Personally I am a B-series fan but Perkins make a good platform as well but is unfortunately even worse than Volvo when it comes to availability. Most of these engines are very good but it comes down to maintenance, repair, and how difficult or EZ they are to work on.

B-series Cummins is dirt simple, end of story. You do NOT need to be a diesel mechanic to work on a "B".

If you give a B-series clean fuel and you dont over-prop it, it will run longer than you can afford to put fuel in it! I am pretty sure there is NOONE on this board that will disagree with that
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

They must have a good reason. If parts are hard to come by and maintenance is more complicated they have to have a good reason being so isolated.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote: Apr 5th, '21, 20:07 They must have a good reason. If parts are hard to come by and maintenance is more complicated they have to have a good reason being so isolated.
Peter

I would say that Vovo gave them a deal and a half. Think about the advertising factor for Volvo. Heck, they could have given them the engines for free and still would be ahead the game.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Cool video. Thanks for posting.

I suspect with 17 boats and 34 motors in the fleet, their shop is going to become quite proficient at routine maintenance and repair. They will quickly learn which parts to warehouse onsite. I would bet that they will be the best running group of Volvos just about anywhere.

Replication makes it easier.

I had a fishing cabin on a barrier island that was only accessible by boat for about 8 years. Matagorda Peninsula Tx, it’s actually an island due to how the Colorado river cuts through it.

We had 5 - four wheelers. On any given day 3-5 of them were running strong. ;^)
4 of them were late 90’s Kawasaki bayou 220’s. We bought them used off of craigslist over the years, but we purposely stuck with the 220’s. They were dirt simple and with the replication we quickly began to learn how to work on them, and when to be on the lookout for an expected failure. And since the nearest motorcycle shop was a 30 minute boat ride and an hour truck drive, it made it nice to rob parts off of one of the others if we were in a pinch.

The Volvos seem to be an odd choice to me given the simplicity of the Cummins 6b engines, but like Tony mentioned, they probably received a significant deal given the volume.

Those folks at Tropic Star have got it going on.
Carl

Post by Carl »

After running the 4-53's for so many years I'm sure the novelty has worn off on the crew and repeat guests.

A lush cabin with AC. Quiet, smooth running, clean burning, powerful but light and economical motors sounds like they may be catering to a slightly different crowd.

As to why Volvo...Cummins is an import there, everything gets shipped in. Cummins 6B may be simply...but have a feeling they are looking to push the "green" aspect of the new tier of cleaner burning motors. So they'd be comparing to QSB's....great motors but pricey and Cummins does not seem to be in any need to be cutting prices to make sales.

Parts and service is the bad news about Volvo...But if doing your own service and as Daniel said and have a nice inventory of parts in-house, plus buying in quantity with backups that problem kinda goes away.

I have a feeling they thought quite awhile with plenty of feelers out before deciding.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Never thought about the cleaner burning motors aspect. And I would be sure fuel burn would be a consideration. I don’t know how the Volvos compare to the other brands in fuel savings. But even a small fuel savings would be significant over 17 boats day in and day out.

It’s a fun discussion, but I’m not second guessing that team. They are obviously top tier at what they do. I might need to sneak down there sometime.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

DanielM wrote: Apr 6th, '21, 19:26. I might need to sneak down there sometime.
You should! looks like they have upgraded the pool and rooms too! I guess the wives were saying "No" too much! And wife friendly heads on the boats! I am sure their prices have been upgraded too!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

DanielM wrote: Apr 6th, '21, 19:26 It’s a fun discussion,

Yup, that pretty much covers it for me. Taking some guesses, wondering what I'd do...

It would be great to go down and ask them myself, but that is not in my cards.