Bertram 31 Hardtop

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MikeD@Lightningshack

Bertram 31 Hardtop

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

Guys,

Gulf Stream is installing my Hardtop this week. The only component they have not manufactured yet is the rod rails for the rod holders.

I designed the top myself and have drawings and an actual 3D model that you can open and manipulate on your computer screen.

TWO things,

I wanted to share/ show off the model of the Bertram bridge and hard top. Many hours went into this over the winter.

Does anyone see anything that they would change or that you think I should change. I put 10 rod holders on this thing and am wondering if it looks overstuffed.

You can never have two many rod holders, Right?... I know the converse is true, You never have enough.

The 3D viewer is kind of neat if you can figure out how to use it. Right Click the model, then select EXAMINE to rotate it in differt ways.

Mike Dolan
http://www.lightningshack.com/hard_top_page/index.html
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It looks good to me! I like the rodholders!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Mike,
Lots of rod holders. The bottom comes out pretty far on the double rocket launcher, double check you don't have any head knocking issues once the rod holders go on. Good hand holds though.
Is the external piping on the top for running wires?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Only other thing might be to offset them so the upper reels arent banging the lower rods, if your not the one putting the rods in.
MikeD@Lightningshack

JP,

I purchased a thinner top then yours. Same contruction but 1/2 the price, and not as thick. The only real compromise for half the price is that you cannot fit large cable runs through the slimmer top. Since I needed hardware up there for Anchor Light, GPS antenna, SG Rigger etc... I figured this piece of hardware wasn't a bad compromise. We'll see how it looks when completed. Models look ok to my eye.

Thudd,
I checked the rod holder fit by putting models of 80's in each holder. I ended up changing the attitude of the lower and upper angles to make it work. I think I will bring 2 80's to Gulf stream to double check fit before the rod holders are tacked in place. Thanks for the advice.

Appreciate the Advice,
thanks again!
Mike Dolan
www.lightningshack.com
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Mike,
If you dont mind, what is the cost of this setup ? I have an older half tower and hardtop that either needs to be replaced or have quite a bit of repair. I'm torn as to what course to takeImage[/list]
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
MikeD@Lightningshack

I found that you could spend anywhere from 5 to 10k to get it done. Probably a little more with the molded spreaders.

The molded divinicyl fiberglass is expensive. 5k for the top alone. I went for a thinner version of the same top which was half the price ~$2500. Just about everyone that quoted me was about 5k for the framework.

You have two other options for the top - Canvas, and fiberglass skin. Both of them seem to have no impact on the pricing. Most guys will quote 5k with either. But if you wanted the molded piece its 5k.

Gulf Stream has one half way done for a 31 Bertram. It was cancelled midway because it didn't match the drawing they were supplied. Yes this was my drawing. I would be willing to bet they would give you very good price being that it is halfway finished. (also the lead time would be a less then a couple weeks)

Where are you located?

mike
Last edited by MikeD@Lightningshack on Jun 26th, '07, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
MikeD@Lightningshack

Noticed some problems with my link, 3 of the images weren't appearing.

It is fixed now.

I find that the 3D Viewer is only working in internet explorer.

There are others available that will work with Mozilla, I may add that link later.

http://www.lightningshack.com/hard_top_page/index.html
Mike
Last edited by MikeD@Lightningshack on Jun 26th, '07, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
MikeD@Lightningshack

Doug,

Just noticed your location next to your picture.

Annapolis, maybe to far for them.

Do you have any other pictures of your top / boat. It looks very similiar to what I designed.

How do you like having all of those rod holders? Do they get in the way?

I would like to see a side view picture of your boat, if you have one.

thanks
mike
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mike-

The top looks good. As JP said, just make sure that the rods/holders don't become head-whackers. Also, I've found on some boats that the rods/holders to the starboard side can make it difficult getting on and off the FB if they're mounted to far over. I've fished with Doug on CrowsNest, and don't remember the rods getting in the way.

John F.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Mike,
I have some tower only shots I will email you. Here is another shot of John and I with dead tuna .

I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.