Location of Hull ID #

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

gregsboat1

Location of Hull ID #

Post by gregsboat1 »

Hi Everybody,
I have a complicated mess of a situation that I hope someone in this group can help me out with.
Several years ago, I bought a Bertram 31 Sportfish "down island" and I have been unable to locate a hull ID# ANYWHERE on the boat.
The aft transom was replaced by a previous owner in St Vincent and the engines were replaced as well.
We think the boat was made in the mid 1970s but, it could be earlier.
I understand that another Hull ID # may be below the deck on the aft transom but, trust me...We have looked everywhere...!!!
Thank you for any advice in this matter.
Kind regards,
Greg Robins
Carl

Re: Location of Hull ID #

Post by Carl »

My hull # is under the port V-berth cushion. # is written in marker on an index card laminated into the hull.

It is also on the electrical panel with a label maker stick on, not sure if that is original or not.

Welcome aboard.
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

I also have what appears to be a piece of cloth or tape glasses into the hull under the port vberth. The writing has faded in it, my boat is a 61. Hope that helps.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

After 1971 the number was in two place on the transom. Under US Coast Guard regulations it is usually molded or attached with a plate to the upper Starboard corner of the transom so it can be read from outside the boat. In addition you can find the Hull number on the transom centered behind the fuel tank just below the water line. If they replaced the transom, then it is probably gone.

Not sure why they had to replace the transom since there is no wood in the transom so rot would not have been an issue.

The next thing to do is to look through every thing up in the cabin. Sometimes it is written in the V berth some where, but I would look through out the hull.

If you have a fuel tank smaller than 220 gallons, then the boat was built before 1972. Somewhere around 1980, they put a hinge in the middle of the two doors under the dash.

Also, don't only look at the sides of the hull for the number, sometimes you might find it written on a hatch somewhere.

Other than that I am not sure how to help you out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
gregsboat1

Post by gregsboat1 »

Hi Everybody,
Thank you so much for your continued suggestions...!!!
If I posted some pictures of the boat would that help?
For instance, I know it has the original sink faucet and other small things like that.
Perhaps, these little things could accurately date the boat and therefore lead to the location of a hull ID # other than the aft transom.
Thank you all again for your continued help; I am clearly desperate.
Kind regards,
Greg Robins
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pictures might help. There were slight changes to the interior, outriggers, etc over the years.

In fact, I still wonder sometimes about the engines. Had the 350 Bluewater MercCruisers. I figure they were made around 1974 and installed in a 75 31. Needed a special hose that actually was a I inch hose going to 3/4 inches. When we tried to get one and had no luck, went to Mercruiser. Gave them engine serial numbers, and what ever else you would need. They told us no such engine.

Go figure. Never had a problem with any other part, and when we ordered OEM parts, they all came through in Mercruiser packaging. Have to shake your head some times.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Not all Bertram 31's were made by Bertram. Many were made under license by other boat yards.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

This is the first time I heard that boats were made at other yards-----with the exception of RIVA in Italy and some license agreement in Australia

Does anybody have knowledge of this?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I think only the Riva 25 and the Australian 28.
I'm not aware of any others.
Aaa, wait a minute, perhaps the old version of the 38? by Riva too.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

RIVA 20 & 25
Carl

Post by Carl »

There was also the Bertram Trojan collaboration boats which were Trojans with the joint venture badging. That was done for a couple years before the Trojan name was sold to Carver.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Add Halter Marine to the list
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

There’s a picture somewhere with Carlo Riva on a 38 Riva/Bertram ?
With aft cabin? The old 38? I mean the 60’s model?
That boat was on sale some years back.
Where’s our historian?

Yep,Carl, the Troyan, you're right. Which models though?
Halter marine? Which models?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Mine is a 69 Halter Marine. Its a Sportfish Bimni Bar.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I never heard of Bertram farming out the production Boats here in the US.

It is possible that some of the Bertram built boats made their way to another yard for upgrades or changes the owner might have wanted that Bertram would not do. From Halter's website it looks like they build only very large vessels and retrofits large yachts.

Rick what makes you think your boat was built by Halter?

The Bertram/Trojan alliance was when Bertram and Trojan were owned by the Whitaker Corp. The Trojan was not built to the same standards as Bertram.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Mar 4th, '21, 21:21 I never heard of Bertram farming out the production Boats here in the US.

It is possible that some of the Bertram built boats made their way to another yard for upgrades or changes the owner might have wanted that Bertram would not do. From Halter's website it looks like they build only very large vessels and retrofits large yachts.

Rick what makes you think your boat was built by Halter?

The Bertram/Trojan alliance was when Bertram and Trojan were owned by the Whitaker Corp. The Trojan was not built to the same standards as Bertram.
You know I had the exact same question when I started tracking back the documentation. We have the documention from the Halter Boatyard, (BTW they were in Miami) and it was built by Halter directly for Bertram.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Canoe Cove Marine of Victoria, BC, Canada also built 20' and 25' Bertrams under license . I have seen a few of these mostly, 25' Bahia Mar style boats, but there is a V drive 20' kicking around currently for sale that may be one of theirs. Quality builder with a good reputation.

https://canoecovering.com/page13/page8/page8.html