Isinglass vs polycarbonate?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Isinglass vs polycarbonate?

Post by Ironworker »

I was watching one of the cruising couples on youtube the other day and saw a polycarbonate material being used on a dodger vs Isinglass. It looks like a superior product and the lifespan is infinitely longer than isinglass.

My question is has anyone used this product on our boats for removable wind screens. Results?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
bob lico

Re: Isinglass vs polycarbonate?

Post by bob lico »

i have it on the bridge of my 31' Bertram about 10 years with Goretex stitching. there is no comparison on the clarity of polycarbonate versus any other product used for windows, however keep in mind it is a stiff as plastic so you can not use in places that you expect to roll up and strap on the bridge so for front you simply put a cross bar on the inside of the top of bridge and unzipped bottom and sides and fold back and zipper on cross bar to have wide open air on bridge. polycarbonate on sides or curve of bridge would be permanent or unzipper and store .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Ironworker

Re: Isinglass vs polycarbonate?

Post by Ironworker »

Thanks Bob. I'm starting from scratch on my 31 windshield and spray curtains and just thinking about whats the best long term solution.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue