Nanni diesels in a 31b

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Charlie

Nanni diesels in a 31b

Post by Charlie »

I as helping Tow W. with his newest crab boat. I noticed a 31 nearby and walked. The sucker has two beautiful 320 HP Nanni's. The guy cut the stringers down and the engines are a very clean fit. I was surprised just how clean it was. One interesting thing about the Nanni's is they are designed with almost no hoses. Looks clean; only time will tell how they hold up; but I would say yanmar has got a competitor.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Time will tell if they are worth fooling with. When I got my little Vulva 4 banger diesels for the B25 in 1984 I was also impressed they had virtually no hoses, all metal pipes. Those pipes drove me crazy, cracking, the O rings failed all the time, hoses are a helluva lot better, absorb the vibration.

I notice that my Cummins 6BTAs have a short section of hose wherever a pipe ends and goes to another pipe...shock absorber.

We are having a major T-storm system here right now, I see water creeping under the door of the shop, glad I'm on a stool.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

When do you head for Panama Vic?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Fly to PTY day after tomorrow, back on Sunday the first.

The Surgeon General has the umbrellas for the red drinks.

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm really going to miss seeing all of you guys this year. Have a great trip!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie

Nanni

Post by Charlie »

I hear you Uncle Vic. The engines look good; but. This guy used risers meant for IO's so he did not have to cut into the aft bulkhead. The IO's risers point straight down while the inboard boat engines were set-up for 45 degree angle.
scot

Post by scot »

I still don't understand WHY a diesel engine manufacture would be named after a woman who keeps kids?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt. Mike Holmes

Nanni

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

I think it is Japanese humor. Much like the term Karioake originally meant "Car full of drunk tourists from Oklahoma", these engines were so named that when their owners passed slower boats - usually Detroit diesel powered - they could yell back in their wake, "Nanni, nanni, nanni!"
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

now now.

No reason to bring GM/DD into a conversation about jap diesels.

These are the same blocks as Toyota sells Yanmar. The difference is that Nanni (think its a french co.) Uses the toyota block internal's- ie pistons.
The externals like heat exchangers etc are quite different. The Nanni uses a single zinc- I think someone said the yanmars have six or seven ?
It will be interesting to see how much traction Nanni gets. Like many industries- see that Yanmar is doing well and wants a piece of that market share worldwide. When Harv, John D, Capt Charlie and myself talked to the Nanni people at the boat show their sales pitch was that you can walk into any toyota dealership in the world and order a piston. What about a raw water pump or heat exchanger ? Wait for it to come from some frog ?
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
scot

Post by scot »

Mike?

...and from a fellow Texan
" passed slower boats - usually Detroit diesel powered"
I guess you don't remember the Tortoise and the Hare story? They may be slower, but I bet no Nanni's will still be running strong in 2060.

DD's just refuse to die....Stewart & Stevenson has a pile of them in Houston that the EPA "makes" them destroy because they simply will not go quietly into the night. LOL[/quote]
Scot
Capt. Mike Holmes

DD's

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Scot, Timmy wanted to stir stuff up. I have run 671's, 8V71's, 6V92's, and 8V92's, ridden on Hats with 12V's, almost ridden on a Cheoy Lee with 16V's. Good old engines. all - just not real fuel efficient by modern standards.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
scot

Post by scot »

Right on all accounts! Key word "OLD" If I had the spare change laying around for a 330hp 6BTA that's what would be going in my B25....but I don't so I'll run the donor DD, could be worst, could have ended up with another gasser!

I do have a perfect running 6BTA 210hp 12 valve with the massive Bosch pump in my 97 truck with 245,000 miles on it. I should yank it out, go see your conversion buddy and scrap the truck out! Engine runs like the day I purchased the truck, oil stays clean. I hear that the 12 valves are good for over 300+hp in the conversions, same engine as the 6BTA marine units....basically.
Scot