Removing windshield frames

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

trace elements

Removing windshield frames

Post by trace elements »

All,

Following up on the other windshield frame thread, I wanted to ask for some guidance on removing the aluminum window frames from the boat in order to replace the glass and paint them. All of the windows appear to have been replaced over the years with plexiglass that has since crazed and cracked, there are also several leaks from the frames, so it is time to address them.

The plan is to remove the window frames, strip the frames, have any corrosion welded up, prep, and paint the frames with awlgrip.

Then I would like to replace all of the windows with tinted lexan or similar. I am not interested in glassing in the forward windshield at this time nor am I interested in one of the expensive fiberglass window frame options.

So, how do you remove the windshield? Any tips on this project?
Yannis

Re: Removing windshield frames

Post by Yannis »

Just removed my forward port sliding window which I shattered in the summer.
It was easy, because it was flexible as it was shattered, I hope to have the same luck when the guy brings back the new one that will no longer be flexible...
I have a 28.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you are removing the curved windows, you will need to undo the nut on the inside of the cabin. It attaches to a stainless T bolt that is in aluminum frame. So you may have corrosion issues so be prepared. This will remove the outer frame.

Then you will need to remove the caulking depending on what was used it might or might not be easy. Once the caulk is out you should be able to remove the glass. You will not be able to remove the interior frame easily. I have not tried that one, but I would assume that will involve supporting the bridge and cutting bolts. So I would not try that job unless you are going to redo everything.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
trace elements

Post by trace elements »

So if the frames are too difficult to entirely remove, how would you go about removing the existing glass and replacing it? I guess you could reseal and paint the frames in place...
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Trace--Tony gave a good description of how to remove the outside frame of the curved side windows. If you are taking out the plexiglass be sure not to break it, you will need it as a pattern for the replacement. If you decide to leave the frames in place and are wondering how to recaulk them I don't have much advice. When I had a leak it was along the bottom seam between the curved part of the frame and the deck. I stripped out as much of the old sealant as I could, taped it off and recaulked. It has worked for the last few years.

The front windshield glass is an entirely different matter. I started messing with them when perhaps I didn't really need to. My leak was mostly because they weren't tightened down as tightly as should have been. In my boat--a 31--the two front windows open up and out so there is no sealant involved except for around the outer frame. They can be removed by giving a good tug when they are at horizontal--have someone help you so you don't drop them. The glass is bedded in on the inside with sealant and the outside seam covered with a plastic extrusion which I believe is called a spline. It is available from specialty glass companies but you have to buy a 50' roll. My advice, just call a competent independent glass company to come down and rebed the glass or take the windows out and bring them to the glazier.

This maybe doesn't answer your original question but if you decide to leave the frame in place and tune up the glass it might be helpful.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

When we cleaned up our curved windows then caulked them, we got about 2 years out of them before they started leaking again. As far as the front window, I caulked them in and caulked them sealed closed. Ended that problem for the last 10 years. Never opened them any way.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315