FLYBRIDGE WINDSCREEN

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

FLYBRIDGE WINDSCREEN

Post by Craig Mac »

Does anyone know a source for a flybridge windscreen?-----I know Capt Pat offered at one time-----I actually bought one from him.
Tony Meola

Re: FLYBRIDGE WINDSCREEN

Post by Tony Meola »

1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Unfortunately they offer 25 & 28 designs--no mention of 31 ---will need to call them--thank you
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I have an original windscreen that a site member donated to me--it didn't work on my boat. Let me know if you have any interest in it. It's not perfect, but the price is right.

JR
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

My daughter and I made one with a piece of smoke Plexiglas and a pair of oven mitts. If your have your original, broken or not, it is quite easy. Lay some paper over the original and trace it. Cut out the shape and lay flat over the Plexiglas, trace it, and cut out the Plexiglas shape. One end at a time, place in oven at 400 deg, flipping it a few times until bends easily. Quickly place on top of the original end, and bend it to match the curve. Use a hair drier on cool setting to cool the end. Repeat for the other end. Came out nice.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I still have not been able to source the correct windscreen----even with mine to use as a template----the plexiglass fabricators can not reproduce the unique bubble design-----this requires a drape mold-----Capt Pat went to the trouble to make one---but I can't locate the fabricator he used that may still have on hand. Any ideas?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Could you make a plaster cast of the old one to use to drape the plexi over. You can use oven heating elements mounted in a frame to soften the plastic. Mount the plexi in a wooden frame. heat and drape over the mold. Cut to shape after it cools. I have done thinner plastic this way before.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

For a one-off---- I guess------I really would like to find someone to do it.

Could a drape mold be made out of foam?
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

We use floor mounted kerosene heaters to bend all sorts of plastic stuff. This is over kill but something similar may prove useful.

https://www.amazon.com/REMINGTON-REM-21 ... 431&sr=8-4

BTW, making a new windscreen is also on my renovation list. I've got the original one but it won't fit with the new tower legs.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Oh boy.

Just don't try to use your wife's oven, and don't burn the house down.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Broadus Rose with Lookout Boat Window frames makes them. You may have to send him your old one to copy the shape unless you can digitize it and send him the file. His number is 252 723 2222
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I looked at my earlier post in this thread and I wanted to make it clear when I said "the price is right" on the windscreen I have, I meant that it's free. Just pay the shipping and it's yours. Like I said in the earlier post, it's not perfect, but it's in decent shape.

JR
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Jack--thank you for the offer---however I am planning on working with Broadus @ Lookout----I will let the board know how it works out.
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

I believe I’m the one who gave Jack the windscreen? In addition I have a pattern made of lauan for the wind deflector that mounts 90 degrees on top of the windscreen. Anyone curious I’ll post a picture of my 31, so you can see, it’s made out of plexiglass. Also take a pic of the pattern and make the pattern for you out of shipping paper. EarleyBird
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

EarleyBird wrote: Jan 12th, '21, 20:37 I believe I’m the one who gave Jack the windscreen? In addition I have a pattern made of lauan for the wind deflector that mounts 90 degrees on top of the windscreen. Anyone curious I’ll post a picture of my 31, so you can see, it’s made out of plexiglass. Also take a pic of the pattern and make the pattern for you out of shipping paper. EarleyBird
I'm interested in seeing some pics! I want to have one made or attempt to make my own at some point as well.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
EarleyBird

Post by EarleyBird »

A few pics of my boat with its wind deflector mounted on wind screen.

Hope this helps,

EarleyBird
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jim

Back in the 70's Stone Harbor Yacht sales use to add one that angled forward. If I took a guess I would say that instead of 90 degrees it might have been 45 degrees towards to bow to deflect water.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Hello All
I was making a templet and it turned into my windscreen.
If nothing else I still have a good templet if I want to make it out of Lexan down the road. Image
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"