Station wagon effect

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

saburke17

Station wagon effect

Post by saburke17 »

You guys think these deflectors would help with the station wagon effect? I know if i put a swim platform on it will but kinda dont want too

Tony Meola

Re: Station wagon effect

Post by Tony Meola »

Are you getting strong wiff of diesel when you are running? I only seem to get it when I am running with the wind on my stern and it blowing harder than I can run.

Those will help to some degree, but the only way to eliminate it is to exit the exhaust out the sides. The Real Cowboy actually has them exiting right on the corners of the transom.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'd say it could at times help.

I had the rubber exhaust flappers on my 440's. Trying to reduce fumes coming back in I tried angling the Rubber Flappers...at idle it pushed the fumes outwards a little, not much. I then screwed the inside section of the flap which directed the exhaust outwards even more. At idle I could see the exhaust travel to the boats sides and get whisked away, at least some of it. At speed it did push exhaust sideways a bit so maybe at some angles to the wind it may have helped...but not much. The exhaust just nestles itself in that little vacuum created behind the boat...best thing I found..open hatch a bit, open door a bit keeps the fumes from coming back in...not a great idea in weather or seas.
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Hey Tony, i get it pretty bad when i have all my isinglass up running at 20+ knots. Over the summer my brother inlaw being on the boat the first time said he could smell fumes also down on the deck while underway. didn't really pay attention to the wind direction though, would that make a difference under way? I'm toying with the idea of moving the exhaust to the side but i have saddle tanks so i would have to remove them in order to put the exhaust up in that section. I guess a full swim platform is in my future
saburke17

Post by saburke17 »

Carl wrote: Nov 25th, '20, 07:37 I'd say it could at times help.

I had the rubber exhaust flappers on my 440's. Trying to reduce fumes coming back in I tried angling the Rubber Flappers...at idle it pushed the fumes outwards a little, not much. I then screwed the inside section of the flap which directed the exhaust outwards even more. At idle I could see the exhaust travel to the boats sides and get whisked away, at least some of it. At speed it did push exhaust sideways a bit so maybe at some angles to the wind it may have helped...but not much. The exhaust just nestles itself in that little vacuum created behind the boat...best thing I found..open hatch a bit, open door a bit keeps the fumes from coming back in...not a great idea in weather or seas.
Carl i had the flaps when i had the 454's and never really noticed any fumes but then again in FL i always had the glass up
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

It might be the Isinglass preventing the flow of air from clearing the fumes. I run with the bridge fully open, have not had an enclosure for over 20 years. Had one in the early years, when it went bad we never replaced it.

I can see that would drastically change the air flow.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

With bridge enclosure and open back your extending the station wagon effect from the cockpit up to the bridge area.

Wind going around the sides and top of boat create a low pressure area behind the boat...same area the exhaust is flowing. In the wrong conditions the exhaust is sucked into that low pressure area, be it the cockpit, cabin or your enclosed bridge.

With the gas motors I always had lots of steam coming out the exhaust. Motors ran cool, lots of water flow, no hot spots just lots of steam produced. It took awhile to get used to it, friends new to the boat were always concerned and I'm getting off topic...

The steam on cool, damp days was especially heavy, it would lay low in the boats wake only rising up several boat lengths behind. Other times the back of the boat looked like it was on fire. Thick white steam billowing around the transom, flowing and churning into the cockpit area. I was the real life science experiment showing the station wagon effect, complete with smoke vapor trails...only thing missing was the lab guys in the long white jackets.