Painting aluminum

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kross1

Painting aluminum

Post by kross1 »

Hello All
I removed the hardtop from my Bertram 28. It needed some repair and painting and filling old holes. I sanded the aluminum tower as it is petted and discolored. I would like to paint the aluminum. Does anybody know of a good self etching aluminum primer And paint. It is not in the cards to have the tower removed at this time. Also I would like something that can be rolled and brushed as for it is usually too windy to spray and I need to do this ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kenny
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Amberjack

Re: Painting aluminum

Post by Amberjack »

Kenny--When I refinished the aluminum guard on Amberjack I used zinc chromate to provide the bond to the aluminum then primer over that. Mine came in a spray can produced by Moeller who might also produce a liquid version. It may be the same stuff used for the undercoat on new airplanes, at least it looks the same. Toxic stuff normally used for industrial use and to be handled with care.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
kross1

Post by kross1 »

Thank You i will look into that.
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Definitely shop in the airplane sites. Aluminum needs to be cleaned right before painting , just like with welding, as the oxides form quickly.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31